Dinner Plates Spot ID
Photo credit: Mick
Reliability: very consistent
Best: Swell S | Wind N
Sea Temperature Today is: 11.6 °C
Dinner Plates in Catlins is an exposed reef break that is usually a safe bet and works all around the year. Works best in offshore winds from the north. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the south. There is no reef break. The location means that it never gets crowded. Watch out for sharks.
Overall Dinner Plates Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
This chart describes the combination of swells directed at Dinner Plates over a normal ... (show all text)
This image shows how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directions th... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Dinner Plates surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Catlins surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Dinner Plates
Tide stations nearest to Dinner Plates:
- Closest tide stationWaipapa Point8 mi
- Second closest tide stationBluff Harbour32 mi
- Third closest tide stationNew River Entrance38 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationNugget Point41 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationOban45 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Dinner Plates:
- Closest ski areaRemarkables112 mi
- Second closest ski areaCoronet Peak122 mi
- Third closest ski areaCardrona124 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaSnow Park/Snow Farm124 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaSnow Park124 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Dinner Plates:
- Closest city locationInvercargill37 mi
- Second closest city locationDunedin90 mi
- Third closest city locationTimaru191 mi
- Fourth closest city locationChristchurch280 mi
- Fifth closest city locationNelson429 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Dinner Plates is Invercargill Airport (IVC) in New Zealand, 62 km (39 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Dinner Plates is Dunedin Airport (DUD), also in New Zealand, 123 km (76 miles) away.
- Third is Alexandra Airport (ALR) in New Zealand, 165 km (102 miles) away.
- Manapouri Airport (TEU) in New Zealand is 165 km (102 miles) away.
- Queenstown Airport (ZQN), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Dinner Plates and is 185 km (115 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Dinner Plates, Catlins. Use the tab navigation above to view Dinner Plates sea temperature, Dinner Plates photographs, Dinner Plates detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Dinner Plates webcams, current wind from Catlins live weather stations and Dinner Plates tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Dinner Plates.