Dinner Plates Spot ID
Photo credit: Mick
Reliability: very consistent
Best: Swell S | Wind N
Sea Temperature Today is: 15.1 °C
Dinner Plates in Catlins is an exposed reef break that is usually a safe bet and works all around the year. Ideal winds are from the north. Tends to receive a mix of groundswells and windswells and the ideal swell angle is from the south. There is no reef break. Crowds are never a problem here. Sharks have been reported here.
Overall Dinner Plates Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in February
The figure shows the combination of swells directed at Dinner Plates over a normal Febr... (show all text)
This chart illustrates how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directi... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Dinner Plates surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Catlins surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Dinner Plates
- The closest passenger airport to Dinner Plates is Invercargill Airport (IVC) in New Zealand, 62 km (39 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Dinner Plates is Dunedin Airport (DUD), also in New Zealand, 123 km (76 miles) away.
- Third is Alexandra Airport (ALR) in New Zealand, 165 km (102 miles) away.
- Manapouri Airport (TEU) in New Zealand is 165 km (102 miles) away.
- Queenstown Airport (ZQN), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Dinner Plates and is 185 km (115 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Dinner Plates, Catlins. Use the tab navigation above to view Dinner Plates sea temperature, Dinner Plates photographs, Dinner Plates detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Dinner Plates webcams, current wind from Catlins live weather stations and Dinner Plates tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Dinner Plates.