Papatowai Spot ID
Type: beach/river mouth
Best: Swell SSE | Wind W
Sea Temperature Today is: 12.4 °C
Papatowai in Catlins is an exposed beach/river mouth break that has inconsistent surf with no particular seasonal pattern. Offshore winds blow from the west. Windswells and groundswells in equal measure and the best swell direction is from the south southeast. The beach breaks offer lefts and rights. Best around high tide. Rarely crowded here. Watch out for sharks/rips.
Overall Papatowai Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in October
This chart illustrates the variation of swells directed at Papatowai through a typical ... (show all text)
This image describes how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different dire... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Papatowai surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Catlins surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Papatowai
- The closest passenger airport to Papatowai is Dunedin Airport (DUD) in New Zealand, 91 km (57 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Papatowai is Invercargill Airport (IVC), also in New Zealand, 91 km (57 miles) away.
- Third is Alexandra Airport (ALR) in New Zealand, 152 km (94 miles) away.
- Queenstown Airport (ZQN) in New Zealand is 182 km (113 miles) away.
- Manapouri Airport (TEU), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Papatowai and is 183 km (114 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Papatowai, Catlins. Use the tab navigation above to view Papatowai sea temperature, Papatowai photographs, Papatowai detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Papatowai webcams, current wind from Catlins live weather stations and Papatowai tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Papatowai.