uk es it fr pt nl

Shek O Surf Guide

Shek O in - is a fairly exposed beach break that has reasonably consistent surf The best wind direction is from the west northwest. Usually gets local windswells, but groundswells do happen and the ideal wave angle is from the northeast. The beach break offers both left and right hand waves. When the surf is up, it can get quite busy in the water. Take care of the strong rips here.

Shek O Spot Info

Type:Rating:
Icon beachBeachIcon  s32.8
Reliability:Todays Sea Temp*:
fairly consistent
28.0°C*ocean temperature recorded from satellite

Surfing Shek O:

The best conditions reported for surf at Shek O occur when a Northeast swell combines with an offshore wind direction from the West-northwest.

Surf Forecasts:

What's the best time of year to surf Shek O (for consistent clean waves)?

januaryBest Season: winter
The best time of year for surfing Shek O with consistent clean waves (rideable swell with light / offshore winds) is during Winter and most often the month of January. Clean surfable waves are typically found 0% of the time in January while 61% of the time it tends to be blown out. For the remaining 39% of the time it is considered too small by most surfers but may still be OK for beginners and groms at times.
clean
0%
Surfable waves that hold up well for longer rides in prevailing cross-offshore, offshore or light wind conditions.
blown out
61%
Surfable sized waves that are of poorer quality due to prevailing onshore, cross-onshore or windy conditions (may be preferable for kitesurfing).
too small
39%
Waves usually considered too small for good surf. Some wave-magnet breaks may still work though if conditions are right (on occasion).

Explore Shek O Location Map

Interactive Shek O surf break location map. View information about nearby surf breaks, their wave consistency and rating compared to other spots in the region. Current swell conditions from local buoys are shown along with live wind speed and direction from nearby weather stations. Click icons on the map for more detail. The closest passenger airport to Shek O is Hong Kong International Airport (HKG) in Hong Kong, 36 km (22 miles) away (directly). The second nearest airport to Shek O is Baoan (Shenzhen) Airport (SZX) in China, 65 km (40 miles) away.

Icon breakBreak
Icon legend buoysLive Wave Height (m)
Icon legend windLive Wind Speed (km/h)
Placeholder
Map placeholder
Please note that some surf spot locations are approximate to protect their exact location while others are not shown at close zoom level.
Shek O Surf Forecasts:
Todays Surf Summary
Tuesday, 28 June 2022, 19:22 Local Time
Tuesday 28Wed
5PM8PM11PM2AM
Wave (m)
0.5
ESE
0.5
ESE
0.6
ESE
0.6
ESE
Period (s) 7 7 7 7
Wind (km/h)
10
10
10
5
Wind State cross-
on
on on on

Swell History at Shek O

Surf stats for Shek O, see the swell variation by month or season on the history page here.

Wind History at Shek O

Wind stats for Shek O, see the variation in direction and stength by month or season on the history page here.

Other Nearby Breaks Closest To:

Discover surf breaks near Shek O. Click below to view there surf guides.


Wave Buoys Nearest To Shek O: