uk es it fr pt nl
Surf Break Rating

Rate Tahunanui Beach


Surf Report Feed
Tahunanui Beach break guidePhoto by: Rob Davies

Tahunanui Beach Surf Guide

Tahunanui Beach in Nelson - Tasman Bay is a sheltered beach break that does not work very often with no particular seasonal pattern. The best wind direction is from the south and there is no shelter here from cross shore breezes. Poor surf in light onshore winds Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the best swell direction is from the north northwest. The beach break provides left and right handers. Best around high tide. Even when the surf is up, crowds are unknown.

Tahunanui Beach Spot Info

Type:Rating:
Icon beach  redBeachIcon  s0
Reliability:Todays Sea Temp*:
inconsistent
13.0°C*ocean temperature recorded from satellite

Surfing Tahunanui Beach:

The best conditions reported for surf at Tahunanui Beach occur when a North-northwest swell combines with an offshore wind direction from the South.

Surf Forecasts:

What's the best time of year to surf Tahunanui Beach (for consistent clean waves)?

januaryBest Season: winter
The best time of year for surfing Tahunanui Beach with consistent clean waves (rideable swell with light / offshore winds) is during Winter and most often the month of January. Clean surfable waves are typically found 0% of the time in January while 4% of the time it tends to be blown out. For the remaining 96% of the time it is considered too small by most surfers but may still be OK for beginners and groms at times.
clean
0%
Surfable waves that hold up well for longer rides in prevailing cross-offshore, offshore or light wind conditions.
blown out
4%
Surfable sized waves that are of poorer quality due to prevailing onshore, cross-onshore or windy conditions (may be preferable for kitesurfing).
too small
96%
Waves usually considered too small for good surf. Some wave-magnet breaks may still work though if conditions are right (on occasion).

Explore Tahunanui Beach Location Map

Interactive Tahunanui Beach surf break location map. View information about nearby surf breaks, their wave consistency and rating compared to other spots in the region. Current swell conditions from local buoys are shown along with live wind speed and direction from nearby weather stations. Click icons on the map for more detail. The closest passenger airport to Tahunanui is Nelson Airport (NSN) in New Zealand, 3 km (2 miles) away (directly). The second nearest airport to Tahunanui is Woodbourne Airport (BHE), also in New Zealand, 59 km (37 miles) away.

Icon breakBreak
Icon legend buoysLive Wave Height (m)
Icon legend windLive Wind Speed (km/h)
Map placeholder
Please note that some surf spot locations are approximate to protect their exact location while others are not shown at close zoom level.
Tahunanui Beach Surf Forecasts:
Todays Surf Summary
Monday, 27 September 2021, 07:18 Local Time
Monday 27
10AM1PM4PM7PM
Wave (m)
0.2
NNW
0.2
NNW
0.2
NNW
0.2
NNW
Period (s) 16 16 16 15
Wind (km/h)
5
5
10
15
Wind State off glass cross-
off
cross-
off

Swell History at Tahunanui Beach

Surf stats for Tahunanui Beach, see the swell variation by month or season on the history page here.

Wind History at Tahunanui Beach

Wind stats for Tahunanui Beach, see the variation in direction and stength by month or season on the history page here.

Other Nearby Breaks Closest To:

Discover surf breaks near Tahunanui Beach. Click below to view there surf guides.


Wave Buoys Nearest To Tahunanui Beach: