uk es it fr pt nl
Kirra ratings
Quality on a good day: 5.0
Consistency of Surf: 3.0
Difficulty Level: 2.0
Wind and Kite Surfing: 2.5
Crowds: 1.7

Overall: 3.7

See all 18 ratings

Based on 4 votes. Vote


Surf Report Feed
Kirra break guidePhoto by: O'Ds Surf Photography

Kirra Surf Guide

Kirra on the Gold Coast is a very sheltered point/Groyne break that has fairly consistent surf. Autumn and winter are the favoured times of year for waves. The best wind direction is from the south. Waves just as likely from local windswells as from distant groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the southeast. The quality of the surf isn't affected by the tide. Likely to be crowded if working. Watch out for sharks, rips and rocks.

Kirra Spot Info

Type:Rating:
Icon pointPoint/groyneIcon  s43.7
Reliability:Todays Sea Temp*:
fairly consistent
24.5°C*ocean temperature recorded from satellite

Surfing Kirra:

The best conditions reported for surf at Kirra occur when a Southeast swell combines with an offshore wind direction from the South.

Surf Forecasts:

What's the best time of year to surf Kirra (for consistent clean waves)?

augustBest Season: winter
The best time of year for surfing Kirra with consistent clean waves (rideable swell with light / offshore winds) is during Winter and most often the month of August. Clean surfable waves are typically found 2% of the time in August while -1% of the time it tends to be blown out. For the remaining 99% of the time it is considered too small by most surfers but may still be OK for beginners and groms at times.
clean
2%
Surfable waves that hold up well for longer rides in prevailing cross-offshore, offshore or light wind conditions.
blown out
-1%
Surfable sized waves that are of poorer quality due to prevailing onshore, cross-onshore or windy conditions (may be preferable for kitesurfing).
too small
99%
Waves usually considered too small for good surf. Some wave-magnet breaks may still work though if conditions are right (on occasion).

Explore Kirra Location Map

Interactive Kirra surf break location map. View information about nearby surf breaks, their wave consistency and rating compared to other spots in the region. Current swell conditions from local buoys are shown along with live wind speed and direction from nearby weather stations. Click icons on the map for more detail. The closest passenger airport to Kirra is Gold Coast Coolangatta Airport (OOL) in Australia, which is 3 km (2 miles) away (directly). The second nearest airport to Kirra is Brisbane International Airport (BNE), also in Australia, 96 km (60 miles) away.

Icon breakBreak
Icon legend buoysLive Wave Height (m)
Icon legend windLive Wind Speed (km/h)
Please note that some surf spot locations are approximate to protect their exact location while others are not shown at close zoom level.
Kirra Surf Forecasts:
Todays Surf Summary
Wednesday, 2 December 2020, 16:41 Local Time
Wednesday 02
7AM10AM1PM4PM
Wave (m) 0.9
NNE
1.0
N
1.1
NNE
1.0
NNE
Period (s) 5 5 5 5
Wind (km/h) 20
NNW 25
N 20
N 20
NNE
Wind State cross-
on
on on on

Swell History at Kirra

Surf stats for Kirra, see the swell variation by month or season on the history page here.

Wind History at Kirra

Wind stats for Kirra, see the variation in direction and stength by month or season on the history page here.

Other Nearby Breaks Closest To:

Discover surf breaks near Kirra. Click below to view there surf guides.


Wave Buoys Nearest To Kirra: