uk es it fr pt nl
Bolsa Chica ratings
Quality on a good day: 2.7
Consistency of Surf: 3.0
Difficulty Level: 2.0
Wind and Kite Surfing: 1.0
Crowds: 2.3

Overall: 3.1

See all 18 ratings

Based on 6 votes. Vote


Surf Report Feed

Bolsa Chica Surf Guide

Bolsa Chica,Surfside and Sunset Beaches in Orange County is a sheltered beach break that has reasonably consistent surf. Summer offers the favoured conditions for surfing. Offshore winds are from the northeast. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the southwest. The beach breaks offer lefts and rights. Sometimes crowded. Beware of rips, locals and pollution.

Bolsa Chica Spot Info

Type:Rating:
Icon beachBeachIcon  s33.1
Reliability:Todays Sea Temp*:
fairly consistent
15.9°C*ocean temperature recorded from satellite

Surfing Bolsa Chica:

The best conditions reported for surf at Bolsa Chica occur when a Southwest swell combines with an offshore wind direction from the Northeast.

Surf Forecasts:

What's the best time of year to surf Bolsa Chica (for consistent clean waves)?

januaryBest Season: winter
The best time of year for surfing Bolsa Chica with consistent clean waves (rideable swell with light / offshore winds) is during Winter and most often the month of January. Clean surfable waves are typically found 0% of the time in January while 3% of the time it tends to be blown out. For the remaining 97% of the time it is considered too small by most surfers but may still be OK for beginners and groms at times.
clean
0%
Surfable waves that hold up well for longer rides in prevailing cross-offshore, offshore or light wind conditions.
blown out
3%
Surfable sized waves that are of poorer quality due to prevailing onshore, cross-onshore or windy conditions (may be preferable for kitesurfing).
too small
97%
Waves usually considered too small for good surf. Some wave-magnet breaks may still work though if conditions are right (on occasion).

Explore Bolsa Chica Location Map

Interactive Bolsa Chica surf break location map. View information about nearby surf breaks, their wave consistency and rating compared to other spots in the region. Current swell conditions from local buoys are shown along with live wind speed and direction from nearby weather stations. Click icons on the map for more detail. The closest passenger airport to Bolsa Chica is Long Beach Airport (LGB) in USA, 15 km (9 miles) away (directly). The second nearest airport to Bolsa Chica is John Wayne Arpt Orange Co (Santa Ana) Airport (SNA), also in USA, 18 km (11 miles) away.

Icon breakBreak
Icon legend buoysLive Wave Height (m)
Icon legend windLive Wind Speed (km/h)
Please note that some surf spot locations are approximate to protect their exact location while others are not shown at close zoom level.
Bolsa Chica Surf Forecasts:
Todays Surf Summary
Wednesday, 5 May 2021, 20:42 Local Time
WedThu
8PM11PM2AM5AM
Wave (m) 0.5
SW
0.5
S
0.4
SW
0.4
SW
Period (s) 15 13 15 15
Wind (km/h) 10
SSW 5
SSW 5
SSE 5
S
Wind State on cross-
on
cross-
on
cross-
on

Swell History at Bolsa Chica

Surf stats for Bolsa Chica, see the swell variation by month or season on the history page here.

Wind History at Bolsa Chica

Wind stats for Bolsa Chica, see the variation in direction and stength by month or season on the history page here.

Bolsa Chica Reviews:

Interactive Porthcawl Point location map. View nearby buoy information, live wind conditions and surrounding roads, paths and locations to help find new breaks. Click the buoys or wind icon to view more information.

Ratings
Based on 6 votes.
  • Overall:Icon  s33.1
  • Quality on a good day:Icon  s32.7
  • Consistency of Surf:Icon  s33.0
  • Difficulty Level:Icon  s22.0
  • Wind and Kite Surfing:Icon  s11.0
  • Crowds:Icon  s22.3
  • ...

See all 18 ratings


Review
Impartial reviews submitted by Surf-Forecast users.
Icon avatar
Mark from United States
“A small group of friends and I surf our kayaks at Bolsa Chica once or twice a week. We seldom have any trouble with the board surfers, as we're usually happy to inhabit the less prime areas. We like it because even on days with bad reports, we seem to be able to find a ride. Conditions can change quite a bit with the tide. Seems to close out when it gets bigger. Busy in the summer, but everyone seems to make room. Nice facilities and close to down town HB or Sunset Beach”

Other Nearby Breaks Closest To:

Discover surf breaks near Bolsa Chica. Click below to view there surf guides.


Wave Buoys Nearest To Bolsa Chica: