uk es it fr pt nl

Birling Gap Surf Guide

Birling Gap in South Coast of England is a quite exposed reef break that has quite consistent surf. Autumn and winter are the best times of year for waves. Offshore winds are from the northeast and there is no shelter here from cross shore breezes. Able to handle light onshore wind Windswells are much more common than groundswells and the ideal wave angle is from the southwest. No reef break here. Likely to be crowded if working. Rocks are a hazard.

Birling Gap Spot Info

Type:Rating:
Icon reef  redReefIcon  s32.6
Reliability:Todays Sea Temp*:
fairly consistent
11.7°C*ocean temperature recorded from satellite

Surfing Birling Gap:

The best conditions reported for surf at Birling Gap occur when a Southwest swell combines with an offshore wind direction from the Northeast.

Surf Forecasts:

What's the best time of year to surf Birling Gap (for consistent clean waves)?

januaryBest Season: winter
The best time of year for surfing Birling Gap with consistent clean waves (rideable swell with light / offshore winds) is during Winter and most often the month of January. Clean surfable waves are typically found 0% of the time in January while 45% of the time it tends to be blown out. For the remaining 55% of the time it is considered too small by most surfers but may still be OK for beginners and groms at times.
clean
0%
Surfable waves that hold up well for longer rides in prevailing cross-offshore, offshore or light wind conditions.
blown out
45%
Surfable sized waves that are of poorer quality due to prevailing onshore, cross-onshore or windy conditions (may be preferable for kitesurfing).
too small
55%
Waves usually considered too small for good surf. Some wave-magnet breaks may still work though if conditions are right (on occasion).

Explore Birling Gap Location Map

Interactive Birling Gap surf break location map. View information about nearby surf breaks, their wave consistency and rating compared to other spots in the region. Current swell conditions from local buoys are shown along with live wind speed and direction from nearby weather stations. Click icons on the map for more detail. The closest passenger airport to Birling Gap is Gatwick (London) Airport (LGW) in England, 53 km (33 miles) away (directly). The second nearest airport to Birling Gap is Lydd Airport (LYX) in U.k., 57 km (35 miles) away.

Icon breakBreak
Icon legend buoysLive Wave Height (m)
Icon legend windLive Wind Speed (km/h)
Map placeholder
Please note that some surf spot locations are approximate to protect their exact location while others are not shown at close zoom level.
Birling Gap Surf Forecasts:
Todays Surf Summary
Wednesday, 1 December 2021, 11:34 Local Time
Wednesday 01
9AM12PM3PM6PM
Wave (m)
1.8
WSW
1.7
W
1.6
W
1.3
WSW
Period (s) 8 8 8 8
Wind (km/h)
40
40
35
30
Wind State cross cross cross cross

Swell History at Birling Gap

Surf stats for Birling Gap, see the swell variation by month or season on the history page here.

Wind History at Birling Gap

Wind stats for Birling Gap, see the variation in direction and stength by month or season on the history page here.

Other Nearby Breaks Closest To:

Discover surf breaks near Birling Gap. Click below to view there surf guides.

    • Icon beachBeach
    • Icon  s22.0
    Reliability: inconsistent
    8km away
  • Latest Webcam
    • Icon beachBeach/pier
    • Icon  s33.1
    Reliability: inconsistent
    20km away
    • Icon beach  redBeach
    • Icon  s33.0
    Reliability: inconsistent
    21km away
    • Icon beach  redBeach and reef
    • Icon  s43.6
    Reliability: inconsistent
    26km away
    • Icon sandbar  redSandbar
    • Icon  s33.1
    Reliability: inconsistent
    31km away

Wave Buoys Nearest To Birling Gap: