uk es it fr pt nl

Sidmouth Surf Guide

Sidmouth in South Devon is a sheltered beach break that only works once in a while. Winter is the best time of year for surfing here. Offshore winds are from the north. Waves more likely to be from local windswells than distant groundswells and the optimum wave angle is from the south southwest. Waves at the beach break both left and right. Best around high tide. Watch out for rocks.

Sidmouth Spot Info

Type:Rating:
Icon beach  redBeachIcon  s22.4
Reliability:Todays Sea Temp*:
inconsistent
17.0°C*ocean temperature recorded from satellite

Surfing Sidmouth:

The best conditions reported for surf at Sidmouth occur when a South-southwest swell combines with an offshore wind direction from the North.

Surf Forecasts:

What's the best time of year to surf Sidmouth (for consistent clean waves)?

januaryBest Season: winter
The best time of year for surfing Sidmouth with consistent clean waves (rideable swell with light / offshore winds) is during Winter and most often the month of January. Clean surfable waves are typically found 0% of the time in January while 19% of the time it tends to be blown out. For the remaining 81% of the time it is considered too small by most surfers but may still be OK for beginners and groms at times.
clean
0%
Surfable waves that hold up well for longer rides in prevailing cross-offshore, offshore or light wind conditions.
blown out
19%
Surfable sized waves that are of poorer quality due to prevailing onshore, cross-onshore or windy conditions (may be preferable for kitesurfing).
too small
81%
Waves usually considered too small for good surf. Some wave-magnet breaks may still work though if conditions are right (on occasion).

Explore Sidmouth Location Map

Interactive Sidmouth surf break location map. View information about nearby surf breaks, their wave consistency and rating compared to other spots in the region. Current swell conditions from local buoys are shown along with live wind speed and direction from nearby weather stations. Click icons on the map for more detail. The closest passenger airport to Sidmouth is Exeter Airport (EXT) in England, 14 km (9 miles) away (directly). The second nearest airport to Sidmouth is Yeovilton Airport (YEO) in U.k., 56 km (35 miles) away.

Icon breakBreak
Icon legend buoysLive Wave Height (m)
Icon legend windLive Wind Speed (km/h)
Placeholder
Map placeholder
Please note that some surf spot locations are approximate to protect their exact location while others are not shown at close zoom level.
Sidmouth Surf Forecasts:
Todays Surf Summary
Tuesday, 4 October 2022, 21:30 Local Time
TueWednesday 05
10PM1AM4AM7AM
Wave (m)
1.3
SSW
1.4
SSW
1.7
SSW
1.9
SSW
Period (s) 5 6 6 6
Wind (km/h)
30
35
35
45
Wind State cross-
on
cross-
on
cross-
on
cross-
on

Swell History at Sidmouth

Surf stats for Sidmouth, see the swell variation by month or season on the history page here.

Wind History at Sidmouth

Wind stats for Sidmouth, see the variation in direction and stength by month or season on the history page here.

Sidmouth Reviews:

Interactive Porthcawl Point location map. View nearby buoy information, live wind conditions and surrounding roads, paths and locations to help find new breaks. Click the buoys or wind icon to view more information.

Ratings
Based on 2 votes.
  • Overall:Icon  s22.4
  • Quality on a good day:Icon  s22.0
  • Consistency of Surf:Icon  s22.0
  • Difficulty Level:Icon  s11.0
  • ...

See all 18 ratings


Review
Impartial reviews submitted by Surf-Forecast users.
Icon avatar
Sam from United Kingdom
“Not worth it. Don’t come and surf here”

Other Nearby Breaks Closest To:

Discover surf breaks near Sidmouth. Click below to view there surf guides.


Wave Buoys Nearest To Sidmouth: