uk es it fr pt nl
West Wittering ratings
Quality on a good day: 3.0
Consistency of Surf: 2.0
Difficulty Level: 3.0
Crowds: 3.0

Overall: 2.8

See all 18 ratings

Based on 2 votes. Vote


Surf Report Feed

West Wittering Surf Guide

West Wittering on the South Coast is a sheltered beach/groynes break that has inconsistent surf. Winter is the best time of year for surfing here. The best wind direction is from the northeast. Windswells are much more common than groundswells and the best wave direction is from the southwest. The beach break offers both left and right hand waves. Best around high tide. When it's working here, it can get crowded. Beware of groynes, rips.

West Wittering Spot Info

Type:Rating:
Icon beachBeach/groynesIcon  s32.8
Reliability:Todays Sea Temp*:
inconsistent
11.1°C*ocean temperature recorded from satellite

Surfing West Wittering:

The best conditions reported for surf at West Wittering occur when a Southwest swell combines with an offshore wind direction from the Northeast.

Surf Forecasts:

What's the best time of year to surf West Wittering (for consistent clean waves)?

januaryBest Season: winter
The best time of year for surfing West Wittering with consistent clean waves (rideable swell with light / offshore winds) is during Winter and most often the month of January. Clean surfable waves are typically found 0% of the time in January while 18% of the time it tends to be blown out. For the remaining 82% of the time it is considered too small by most surfers but may still be OK for beginners and groms at times.
clean
0%
Surfable waves that hold up well for longer rides in prevailing cross-offshore, offshore or light wind conditions.
blown out
18%
Surfable sized waves that are of poorer quality due to prevailing onshore, cross-onshore or windy conditions (may be preferable for kitesurfing).
too small
82%
Waves usually considered too small for good surf. Some wave-magnet breaks may still work though if conditions are right (on occasion).

Explore West Wittering Location Map

Interactive West Wittering surf break location map. View information about nearby surf breaks, their wave consistency and rating compared to other spots in the region. Current swell conditions from local buoys are shown along with live wind speed and direction from nearby weather stations. Click icons on the map for more detail. The closest passenger airport to West Wittering is Southampton Airport (SOU) in England, 37 km (23 miles) away (directly). The second nearest airport to West Wittering is Bournemouth Airport (BOH), also in England, 65 km (40 miles) away.

Icon breakBreak
Icon legend buoysLive Wave Height (m)
Icon legend windLive Wind Speed (km/h)
Please note that some surf spot locations are approximate to protect their exact location while others are not shown at close zoom level.
West Wittering Surf Forecasts:
Todays Surf Summary
Sunday, 6 December 2020, 01:17 Local Time
Sunday 06
3AM6AM9AM12PM
Wave (m) 0.1
SW
0.1
W
0.1
W
0.5
W
Period (s) 10 8 8 10
Wind (km/h) 30
NNE 30
NNE 30
NNE 25
NNE
Wind State off cross-
off
cross-
off
off

Swell History at West Wittering

Surf stats for West Wittering, see the swell variation by month or season on the history page here.

Wind History at West Wittering

Wind stats for West Wittering, see the variation in direction and stength by month or season on the history page here.

Other Nearby Breaks Closest To:

Discover surf breaks near West Wittering. Click below to view there surf guides.


Wave Buoys Nearest To West Wittering: