Wye River Spot ID
Photo credit: Johannes Huntjens
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SSE | Wind NNW
Sea Temperature Today is: 13.7 °C
Wye River in Cape Otway is a quite exposed river/reef break that has quite consistent surf. Spring and Summer provide the optimum conditions. The best wind direction is from the north northwest. Waves just as likely from local windswells as from distant groundswells and the best swell direction is from the south southeast. The beach breaks favour rights as well as a right hand reef break.. Best around high tide when the tide is rising. Sometimes crowded. Beware of crowds and rocks.
Overall Wye River Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
This image illustrates the range of swells directed at Wye River through an average Jun... (show all text)
The graph describes how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different directi... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Wye River surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to VIC - Cape Otway surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Wye River
Visitor Reviews of Wye River
Tide stations nearest to Wye River:
- Closest tide stationLoutit Bay8 mi
- Second closest tide stationApollo Bay14 mi
- Third closest tide stationGeelong42 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationLeopold44 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationPort Phillip Heads45 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Wye River:
- Closest ski areaMt Donna Buang (Australia)116 mi
- Second closest ski areaLake Mountain (Australia)134 mi
- Third closest ski areaMount Baw Baw (Australia)140 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaMt St Gwinear (Australia)143 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaMount Buller (Australia)173 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Wye River:
- Closest city locationGeelong West (Australia)43 mi
- Second closest city locationGeelong (Australia)44 mi
- Third closest city locationHoppers Crossing (Australia)68 mi
- Fourth closest city locationBallarat (Australia)72 mi
- Fifth closest city locationFrankston East (Australia)76 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Wye River is Avalon Airport (AVV) in Australia, 83 km (52 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Wye River is Melbourne Moorabbin Airport (MBW), also in Australia, 129 km (80 miles) away.
- Third is Melbourne Essendon Airport (MEB) in Australia, 134 km (83 miles) away.
- Melbourne International Airport (MEL) in Australia is 136 km (84 miles) away.
- Albury Airport (ABX), also in Australia is the fifth nearest airport to Wye River and is 394 km (245 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Wye River, VIC - Cape Otway. Use the tab navigation above to view Wye River sea temperature, Wye River photographs, Wye River detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Wye River webcams, current wind from VIC - Cape Otway live weather stations and Wye River tide predictions. The Australia swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Australia and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Australia wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Wye River.