Whatipu Spot ID
Best: Swell WSW | Wind ENE
Sea Temperature Today is: 18.9 °C
Whatipu in Auckland is a quite exposed beach break that has unreliable waves. Summer in particular tends to be flat. Offshore winds are from the east northeast. Windswells and groundswells in equal measure and the best swell direction is from the west southwest. The beach breaks peel to the right. Best around high tide when the tide is rising. It's sometimes crowded here. Surfing here means negotiating dangerous rips.
Overall Whatipu Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in April
The graph describes the variation of swells directed at Whatipu over a normal April, ba... (show all text)
The rose diagram shows how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different di... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Whatipu surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Auckland surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Whatipu
- The closest passenger airport to Whatipu is Auckland International Airport (AKL) in New Zealand, 26 km (16 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Whatipu is Hamilton Airport (HLZ), also in New Zealand, 116 km (72 miles) away.
- Third is Whangarei Airport (WRE) in New Zealand, 143 km (89 miles) away.
- Tauranga Airport (TRG) in New Zealand is 165 km (102 miles) away.
- Rotorua Airport (ROT), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Whatipu and is 198 km (123 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Whatipu, Auckland. Use the tab navigation above to view Whatipu sea temperature, Whatipu photographs, Whatipu detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Whatipu webcams, current wind from Auckland live weather stations and Whatipu tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Whatipu.