Whakatane Heads Surf Forecast and Surf Reports
(Bay of Plenty, New Zealand)
Whakatane Heads Spot ID
Photo credit: connor
Type: beach and reef
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell NNE | Wind S
Sea Temperature Today is: 16.2 °C
Whakatane Heads in Bay of Plenty is an exposed beach and reef break that has reasonably consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. Works best in offshore winds from the south. Tends to receive distant groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the north northeast. A right hand reef. Best around low tide. When the surf is up, it can get quite busy in the water. Take care of rips, rocks and obstacles.
Overall Whakatane Heads Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in May
The rose diagram describes the variation of swells directed at Whakatane Heads through ... (show all text)
This picture shows how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different direct... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Whakatane Heads surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Bay of Plenty surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Whakatane Heads
Visitor Reviews of Whakatane Heads
“Morgz you got that spot on but you forgot to mention the mako sharks around the river mouth.”
Blades from NEW ZEALAND - 11 Jul 2010
Tide stations nearest to Whakatane Heads:
- Closest tide stationWhakatane1 mi
- Second closest tide stationMoutohora (Whale) Island5 mi
- Third closest tide stationOhope Wharf6 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationOhiwa7 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationOmaio Bay (Motunui Island)37 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Whakatane Heads:
- Closest ski areaTukino (New Zealand)119 mi
- Second closest ski areaWhakapapa (New Zealand)119 mi
- Third closest ski areaTuroa (New Zealand)124 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaManganui (New Zealand)183 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaRainbow (New Zealand)349 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Whakatane Heads:
- Closest city locationRotorua (New Zealand)44 mi
- Second closest city locationTauranga (New Zealand)48 mi
- Third closest city locationGisborne (New Zealand)73 mi
- Fourth closest city locationHamilton (New Zealand)93 mi
- Fifth closest city locationNapier (New Zealand)108 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Whakatane Heads is Whakatane Airport (WHK) in New Zealand, 8 km (5 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Whakatane Heads is Rotorua Airport (ROT), also in New Zealand, 63 km (39 miles) away.
- Third is Tauranga Airport (TRG) in New Zealand, 77 km (48 miles) away.
- Gisborne Airport (GIS) in New Zealand is 117 km (73 miles) away.
- Taupo Airport (TUO), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Whakatane Heads and is 119 km (74 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Whakatane Heads, Bay of Plenty. Use the tab navigation above to view Whakatane Heads sea temperature, Whakatane Heads photographs, Whakatane Heads detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Whakatane Heads webcams, current wind from Bay of Plenty live weather stations and Whakatane Heads tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Whakatane Heads.