Waitpinga Spot ID
Type: beach and reef
Reliability: very consistent
Best: Swell SSW | Wind NNE
Sea Temperature Today is: 13.6 °C
Waitpinga in Adelaide is an exposed beach and reef break that has fairly consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. Offshore winds are from the north northeast. Clean groundswells prevail and the best swell direction is from the south southwest. Waves at the beach are both lefts and rights as well as left and right hand reef breaks.. Relatively few surfers here, even on good days. Beware of rocks, rips and sharks.
Overall Waitpinga Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
The rose diagram illustrates the range of swells directed at Waitpinga over a normal Ju... (show all text)
This picture describes how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different dire... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Waitpinga surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to SA - Adelaide surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Waitpinga
Visitor Reviews of Waitpinga
“For most of the 1980's and 1990's I had the privilege of surfing this world class surf beach. I have heard it said and read the same comment on the internet- "Waitpinga, the beach that never goes flat." This is mostly true as you might get unsurfable small days with offshores, about once every 3 years.
The beach itself is a fairly straight looking embayment between Newland Head at the eastern end and Waitpinga/Parsons Point to the west end. It is approx 3.2 km long.
The surf at this beach is breaking on top of regularly moving sand banks and is both hollow and walling. The surf here is most ridden between 1.5 m and 3.5 m. The surf steps up out of deeper water in a peaky dumping section before backing off into a wall as it passes into the rip channels.
My favorite time of year is winter because often there is a big SW storm blowing followed by an offshore wind overnight, which is developing a head of the next SW wind change. What does this mean? It means big lumpy looking swell on new sandbanks at Waitpinga with offshores. Often I would paddle out and surf all day alone picking off 4 to 6 meter lumps with barrels comparable to pipeline in Hawaii. This demonstrates Waitpinga's other potential as a real adrenalin junkies fixer upper. The offshores during winter can be intermittent but the other side of the coin is that I have seen offshores for 2 weeks at a time and that happens often in winter.
A 6'8 to 7'2 is good for this bigger winter stuff. best offshores N, and NE, but will accept NW winds better nearer to Waitpinga /Parsons Point.”
Steeve Whitehead from AUSTRALIA - 18 Feb 2012
Tide stations nearest to Waitpinga:
- Closest tide stationVictor Harbor9 mi
- Second closest tide stationSecond Valley19 mi
- Third closest tide stationCape Jervis23 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationAldinga25 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationHog Bay32 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Waitpinga:
- Closest ski areaMt Donna Buang (Australia)422 mi
- Second closest ski areaLake Mountain (Australia)429 mi
- Third closest ski areaMount Buller (Australia)453 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaMount Baw Baw (Australia)456 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaMt Stirling (Australia)456 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Waitpinga:
- Closest city locationAdelaide (Australia)49 mi
- Second closest city locationAdelaide Hills (Australia)52 mi
- Third closest city locationMildura (Australia)229 mi
- Fourth closest city locationWarrnambool (Australia)290 mi
- Fifth closest city locationBallarat (Australia)332 mi
- The nearest passenger airport to Waitpinga is Adelaide International Airport (ADL) in Australia, which is 77 km (48 miles) away (directly).
- The second closest airport to Waitpinga is Woomera Airport (UMR), also in Australia, 524 km (325 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Waitpinga, SA - Adelaide. Use the tab navigation above to view Waitpinga sea temperature, Waitpinga photographs, Waitpinga detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Waitpinga webcams, current wind from SA - Adelaide live weather stations and Waitpinga tide predictions. The Australia swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Australia and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Australia wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Waitpinga.