Waikuku Beach Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SSE | Wind WNW
Sea Temperature Today is: 8.6 °C
Waikuku Beach in Kaikoura is an exposed beach break that has reasonably consistent surf, although summer tends to be mostly flat. Offshore winds are from the west. Tends to receive a mix of groundswells and windswells and the best swell direction is from the south southeast. The beach breaks offer lefts and rights. Unlikely to be too crowded, even when the surf is up.
Overall Waikuku Beach Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in July
This picture illustrates the combination of swells directed at Waikuku Beach over a nor... (show all text)
The figure describes how often and how strongly the wind blows from different direction... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Waikuku Beach surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Canterbury surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Waikuku Beach
Visitor Reviews of Waikuku Beach
Tide stations nearest to Waikuku Beach:
- Closest tide stationKaiapoi7 mi
- Second closest tide stationChristchurch19 mi
- Third closest tide stationLyttelton22 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationAkaroa37 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationKaikoura78 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Waikuku Beach:
- Closest ski areaCraigieburn (New Zealand)53 mi
- Second closest ski areaBroken River (New Zealand)53 mi
- Third closest ski areaMount Cheeseman (New Zealand)53 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaPorters (New Zealand)54 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaMount Olympus (New Zealand)57 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Waikuku Beach:
- Closest city locationChristchurch (New Zealand)19 mi
- Second closest city locationTimaru (New Zealand)106 mi
- Third closest city locationBlenheim (New Zealand)137 mi
- Fourth closest city locationNelson (New Zealand)142 mi
- Fifth closest city locationWellington (New Zealand)174 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Waikuku Beach is Christchurch International Airport (CHC) in New Zealand, 27 km (17 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Waikuku Beach is Hokitika Airport (HKK), also in New Zealand, 155 km (96 miles) away.
- Third is Timaru Airport (TIU) in New Zealand, 165 km (102 miles) away.
- Westport Airport (WSZ) in New Zealand is 196 km (122 miles) away.
- Mount Cook Airport (GTN), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Waikuku Beach and is 216 km (134 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Waikuku Beach, Canterbury. Use the tab navigation above to view Waikuku Beach sea temperature, Waikuku Beach photographs, Waikuku Beach detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Waikuku Beach webcams, current wind from Canterbury live weather stations and Waikuku Beach tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Waikuku Beach.