Tora-Bombora Spot ID
Photo credit: Louis Murphy-Harris
Best: Swell SE | Wind NW
Sea Temperature Today is: 14.3 °C
Tora-Bombora in the Waiararpa is an exposed reef break that only works when conditions are just right. Summer in particular tends to be flat. The best wind direction is from the southwest. Tends to receive a mix of groundswells and windswells and the ideal swell angle is from the southeast. There is a left hand reef break. Best around high tide. Unlikely to be too crowded, even when the surf is up. Submerged rocks are a hazard.
Overall Tora-Bombora Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in December
This chart illustrates the combination of swells directed at Tora-Bombora through an av... (show all text)
This image describes how often and how strongly the wind blows from different direction... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Tora-Bombora surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Wairarapa surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Tora-Bombora
Tide stations nearest to Tora-Bombora:
- Closest tide stationCape Palliser15 mi
- Second closest tide stationLower Hutt38 mi
- Third closest tide stationWellington42 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationPorirua Harbour (Plimmerton)47 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationMakara Bay48 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Tora-Bombora:
- Closest ski areaMount Lyford (New Zealand)139 mi
- Second closest ski areaRainbow (New Zealand)140 mi
- Third closest ski areaHanmer (New Zealand)151 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaTuroa (New Zealand)151 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaTukino (New Zealand)154 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Tora-Bombora:
- Closest city locationUpper Hutt (New Zealand)35 mi
- Second closest city locationLower Hutt (New Zealand)38 mi
- Third closest city locationWellington (New Zealand)42 mi
- Fourth closest city locationPorirua (New Zealand)44 mi
- Fifth closest city locationParaparaumu (New Zealand)49 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Tora-Bombora is Masterton Airport (MRO) in New Zealand, 60 km (37 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Tora-Bombora is Wellington International Airport (WLG), also in New Zealand, 64 km (40 miles) away.
- Third is Paraparaumu Airport (PPQ) in New Zealand, 81 km (50 miles) away.
- Palmerston North Airport (PMR) in New Zealand is 132 km (82 miles) away.
- Woodbourne Airport (BHE), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Tora-Bombora and is 139 km (86 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Tora-Bombora, Wairarapa. Use the tab navigation above to view Tora-Bombora sea temperature, Tora-Bombora photographs, Tora-Bombora detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Tora-Bombora webcams, current wind from Wairarapa live weather stations and Tora-Bombora tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Tora-Bombora.