Tonchigue Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell NW | Wind SE
Sea Temperature Today is: 27.2 °C
Tonchigue in Esmiraldas is an exposed point break that has quite reliable surf. Winter and spring are the favoured times of year to visit. Ideal winds are from the southeast. Tends to receive distant groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the northwest.The waves is a point break that peels left. Relatively few surfers here, even on good days. Watch out for rocks and sharks.
Overall Tonchigue Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
The figure illustrates the combination of swells directed at Tonchigue over a normal Ju... (show all text)
This chart describes how often and how strongly the wind blows from different direction... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Tonchigue surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Esmeraldas surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Tonchigue
Visitor Reviews of Tonchigue
“Tonchigue presenta una buena oportunidad para los surfistas especialemente cuado entra el Norte”
Manuel Pallares from ECUADOR - 01 Nov 2011
Tide stations nearest to Tonchigue:
- Closest tide stationMuisne17 mi
- Second closest tide stationPropicia18 mi
- Third closest tide stationPuerto de Esmeraldas22 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationPedernales52 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationValdez71 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Tonchigue:
- Closest ski areaHuascaran (Peru)706 mi
- Second closest ski areaChacaltaya (Bolivia)1443 mi
- Third closest ski areaCloudmont (United States)2348 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaSky Valley (United States)2372 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaScaly Mountain (United States)2375 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Tonchigue:
- Closest city locationPropicia18 mi
- Second closest city locationEsmeraldas19 mi
- Third closest city locationRosa Zarate47 mi
- Fourth closest city locationSanto Domingo de los Colorados92 mi
- Fifth closest city locationTumaco (Colombia)103 mi
- The nearest passenger airport to Tonchigue is La Florida (Tumaco) Airport (TCO) in Colombia, which is 171 km (106 miles) away (directly).
- The second closest airport to Tonchigue is Mariscal Sucre International (Quito) Airport (UIO) in Ecuador, 193 km (120 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Tonchigue, Esmeraldas. Use the tab navigation above to view Tonchigue sea temperature, Tonchigue photographs, Tonchigue detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Tonchigue webcams, current wind from Esmeraldas live weather stations and Tonchigue tide predictions. The Ecuador swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Ecuador and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Ecuador wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Tonchigue.