Third Reef Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell WNW | Wind E
Sea Temperature Today is: 13.0 °C
Third Reef in Humboldt is an exposed reef break that has fairly consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. The best wind direction is from the east. Tends to receive distant groundswells and the optimum swell angle is from the west northwest. A choice of left and right reefs. Best around low tide. When the surf is up, it can get quite busy in the water. Beware of sharks, rips, rocks and locals.
For Shelter Cove, California, 1 km from Third Reef.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Fortuna, 58 km from Third Reef.
Dry and partly cloudy
At Eel River Buoy, 57 miles from Third Reef.
|Data Age||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||9||9||9||9|
Overall Third Reef Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in July
This picture shows the combination of swells directed at Third Reef through an average ... (show all text)
The figure illustrates how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directi... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Third Reef surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to CAL - Humboldt surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Third Reef
Visitor Reviews of Third Reef
Tide stations nearest to Third Reef:
- Closest tide stationShelter Cove1 mi
- Second closest tide stationWestport31 mi
- Third closest tide stationCape Mendocino34 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationFort Bragg Landing42 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationEel River entrance44 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Third Reef:
- Closest ski areaMt Shasta (United States)138 mi
- Second closest ski areaStover Mountain Ski Area (United States)149 mi
- Third closest ski areaMt Ashland (United States)160 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaCoppervale (United States)183 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaRoyal Gorge (United States)202 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Third Reef:
- Closest city locationEureka (United States)53 mi
- Second closest city locationRedding (United States)97 mi
- Third closest city locationChico (United States)121 mi
- Fourth closest city locationWindsor (United States)122 mi
- Fifth closest city locationParadise (United States)132 mi
- The nearest passenger airport to Third Reef is Chico Muni Airport (CIC) in USA, which is 191 km (119 miles) away (directly).
- The second closest airport to Third Reef is Beale Afb (Marysville) Airport (BAB), also in USA, 247 km (153 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Third Reef, CAL - Humboldt. Use the tab navigation above to view Third Reef sea temperature, Third Reef photographs, Third Reef detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Third Reef webcams, current wind from CAL - Humboldt live weather stations and Third Reef tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Third Reef.