The Wedge Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SSW | Wind N
Sea Temperature Today is: 23.7 °C
The Wedge in Orange County is a fairly exposed beach break that has pretty consitent surf. Summer offers the best conditions for surfing. Works best in offshore winds from the north. Tends to receive distant groundswells and the best swell direction is from the south southwest. The beach breaks are all lefts. Best around mid tide when the tide is rising. Often Crowded. Hazards include rips and locals.
For Newport Bay Entrance, California, 1 km from The Wedge.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Corona Del Mar, 1 km from The Wedge.
At Santa Monica Basin Buoy, 68 miles from The Wedge.
|Data Age||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||6||19||7||19|
Overall The Wedge Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
This chart describes the range of swells directed at The Wedge over a normal June, base... (show all text)
This image shows how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different directions... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single The Wedge surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to CAL - Orange County surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of The Wedge
Visitor Reviews of The Wedge
“Pretty gnarly. Don't wear a leash - you'll get screwed because it moves so much water and it's so thick that if you want to back out and you have your leash on your board will pull you over, but it's a shore break so it doesn't matter you will go over the falls at least one time and you will get drilled if you go over head first. Tuck into a ball or put your hands out and when you feel the sand, roll. Some people break their necks and some die, but worth the risk if you get the side wave and get pushed into a perfect barrel. Don't bother going if it's not a south swell. Over all best spot in Newport for body boarding and body surfing.”
joseph from UNITED STATES - 29 Dec 2012
Tide stations nearest to The Wedge:
- Closest tide stationNewport Bay Entrance1 mi
- Second closest tide stationBalboa Pier, Newport Beach1 mi
- Third closest tide stationNewport Bay Entrance, Corona del Mar (2)1 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationSanta Ana River entrance (inside)5 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationLaguna Beach7 mi
Ski Resorts closest to The Wedge:
- Closest ski areaMt Baldy43 mi
- Second closest ski areaMountain High resort55 mi
- Third closest ski areaSunrise Ski Area56 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaSnow Valley65 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaSnow Summit72 mi
Town and city forecasts close to The Wedge:
- Closest city locationNewport Beach3 mi
- Second closest city locationCosta Mesa5 mi
- Third closest city locationIrvine7 mi
- Fourth closest city locationHuntington Beach8 mi
- Fifth closest city locationFountain Valley9 mi
- The closest passenger airport to The Wedge is John Wayne Arpt Orange Co (Santa Ana) Airport (SNA) in USA, 9 km (6 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to The Wedge is Tustin Mcaf Airport (NTK), also in USA, 14 km (9 miles) away.
- Third is Long Beach Airport (LGB) in USA, 35 km (22 miles) away.
- Jack Northrop Fld Hawthorne Muni Airport (HHR) in USA is 56 km (35 miles) away.
- Riverside Muni Airport (RAL), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to The Wedge and is 57 km (35 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for The Wedge, CAL - Orange County. Use the tab navigation above to view The Wedge sea temperature, The Wedge photographs, The Wedge detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, The Wedge webcams, current wind from CAL - Orange County live weather stations and The Wedge tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around The Wedge.