The Washout Spot ID
Photo credit: Don Rogers
Reliability: very consistent
Best: Swell SE | Wind NW
Sea Temperature Today is: 14.4 °C
The Washout in South Carolina is an exposed beach/Pier break that is usually a safe bet and works all around the year. The best wind direction is from the northwest. Tends to receive a mix of groundswells and windswells and the best swell direction is from the southeast. The beach break offers both left and right hand waves. Best around mid tide when the tide is rising. When it's working here, it can get crowded. Beware of groynes, rips, sharks,jellyfish,polluiton.
For Folly River, north, Folly Island, South Carolina, 2 km from The Washout.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At BUOY-FBIS1, 2 km from The Washout.
|strong winds from the ENE|
At Edisto Buoy, 48 miles from The Washout.
|Data Age||5 hr||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||7||8||7||8|
Overall The Washout Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in March
This chart shows the variation of swells directed at The Washout over a normal March, b... (show all text)
This image illustrates how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different di... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single The Washout surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Carolina South surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of The Washout
Tide stations nearest to The Washout:
- Closest tide station1 mi
- Second closest tide station2 mi
- Third closest tide station2 mi
- Fourth closest tide station3 mi
- Fifth closest tide station6 mi
- The closest passenger airport to The Washout is Charleston Afb International Airport (CHS) in USA, 28 km (17 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to The Washout is Beaufort Mcas Airport (NBC), also in USA, 80 km (50 miles) away.
- Third is Santee Cooper Rgnl (Plymouth) Airport (MNI) in Montserrat Island, 105 km (65 miles) away.
- Savannah Hilton Head International Airport (SAV) in USA is 137 km (85 miles) away.
- Hunter Aaf Airport (SVN), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to The Washout and is 138 km (86 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for The Washout, Carolina South. Use the tab navigation above to view The Washout sea temperature, The Washout photographs, The Washout detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, The Washout webcams, current wind from Carolina South live weather stations and The Washout tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around The Washout.