Inner Cut Spot ID
Best: Swell NW | Wind SE
Sea Temperature Today is: 13.5 °C
The Cut-Nelson Harbour in Nelson is a fairly exposed reef break that has unreliable waves. Spring and Summer provide the best conditions. The best wind direction is from the southeast. Groundswells are more common than windswells and the best swell direction is from the north. A right hand reef break. Best around mid tide when the tide is falling. Even when there are waves, it's not likley to be crowded.
Overall Inner Cut Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
The rose diagram illustrates the combination of swells directed at Inner Cut through a ... (show all text)
This picture describes how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directi... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Inner Cut surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Nelson - Tasman Bay surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Inner Cut
Visitor Reviews of Inner Cut
“I shouldn't really review a place I have never surfed, but what the heck. My mate from Nelson has surfed The Cut and sent me an email which I'll quote below:
"This is a sweet and deceptively powerful wave. A gem in Nelson that works on a Westerly and even a NW. The paddle out is far too long, the other two riders had a dinghy. This is a good idea as once you are out it takes a while for your arms and shoulders to recover."
I've got a lot of respect for the whole Nelson area. It's totally off the map for most surfers but when it is working (NW swell needed) the surf is classy.
Twice in 2009 I set off on big trips out of the Nelson area to surf Kaikoura one trip and Gissie and East Cape on the other.
4 weeks on the road in total, and inevitably some great waves, but both times I had better waves in the Nelson area. Go figure.”
Rob Davies from NEW ZEALAND - 11 Mar 2010
Tide stations nearest to Inner Cut:
- Closest tide stationNelson1 mi
- Second closest tide stationRichmond6 mi
- Third closest tide stationMapua8 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationMotueka16 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationAstrolabe Road23 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Inner Cut:
- Closest ski areaRainbow47 mi
- Second closest ski areaMount Lyford81 mi
- Third closest ski areaHanmer83 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaManganui142 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaTemple Basin144 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Inner Cut:
- Closest city locationNelson1 mi
- Second closest city locationBlenheim40 mi
- Third closest city locationWellington79 mi
- Fourth closest city locationPorirua83 mi
- Fifth closest city locationLower Hutt86 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Inner Cut is Nelson Airport (NSN) in New Zealand, 5 km (3 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Inner Cut is Woodbourne Airport (BHE), also in New Zealand, 58 km (36 miles) away.
- Third is Wellington International Airport (WLG) in New Zealand, 129 km (80 miles) away.
- Westport Airport (WSZ) in New Zealand is 149 km (93 miles) away.
- Paraparaumu Airport (PPQ), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Inner Cut and is 150 km (93 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Inner Cut, Nelson - Tasman Bay. Use the tab navigation above to view Inner Cut sea temperature, Inner Cut photographs, Inner Cut detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Inner Cut webcams, current wind from Nelson - Tasman Bay live weather stations and Inner Cut tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Inner Cut.