Taylors Mistake Surf Forecast and Surf Reports
(Canterbury, New Zealand)
Taylors Mistake Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell ENE | Wind W
Sea Temperature Today is: 12.3 °C
Taylors Mistake in Kaikoura is a fairly exposed beach break that has reasonably consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. Works best in offshore winds from the west. Groundswells more frequent than windswells and the ideal swell direction is from the east northeast. The beach breaks offer lefts and rights. Good surf at all stages of the tide. When the surf is up, it can get quite busy in the water. Take care of rips and rocks.
Overall Taylors Mistake Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in May
The graph shows the range of swells directed at Taylors Mistake through an average May ... (show all text)
The rose diagram illustrates how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from differen... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Taylors Mistake surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Canterbury surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Taylors Mistake
Visitor Reviews of Taylors Mistake
“Taylors Mistake is nowhere near Kiakoura. Taylors is over the hill from Scarborough and about 25mins from the centre of Christchurch.
Kiakoura is 2 hours of Christchurch and has some of the best breaks on the east coast of the South Island especially Meatworks and Maungamanu whic can handle large swells. This is also a holiday destinations known for its whales and crayfish.
[Editor - Thanks Bruce. Taylor's is in the right place on the maps (coordinates are right) so forecasts are ok, but as you point out, it was listed in the wrong region - we will fix this right away].”
Bruce Cattermole from AUSTRALIA - 30 Sep 2010
Tide stations nearest to Taylors Mistake:
- Closest tide stationLyttelton4 mi
- Second closest tide stationChristchurch6 mi
- Third closest tide stationKaiapoi16 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationAkaroa17 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationKaikoura93 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Taylors Mistake:
- Closest ski areaPorters (New Zealand)61 mi
- Second closest ski areaMount Cheeseman (New Zealand)62 mi
- Third closest ski areaMount Hutt (New Zealand)62 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaCraigieburn (New Zealand)63 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaBroken River (New Zealand)63 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Taylors Mistake:
- Closest city locationChristchurch (New Zealand)6 mi
- Second closest city locationTimaru (New Zealand)95 mi
- Third closest city locationBlenheim (New Zealand)155 mi
- Fourth closest city locationNelson (New Zealand)161 mi
- Fifth closest city locationWellington (New Zealand)189 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Taylors Mistake is Christchurch International Airport (CHC) in New Zealand, which is 23 km (14 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Taylors Mistake is Timaru Airport (TIU), also in New Zealand, 148 km (92 miles) away.
- The third closest airport is Hokitika Airport (HKK), also in New Zealand, 175 km (109 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Taylors Mistake, Canterbury. Use the tab navigation above to view Taylors Mistake sea temperature, Taylors Mistake photographs, Taylors Mistake detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Taylors Mistake webcams, current wind from Canterbury live weather stations and Taylors Mistake tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Taylors Mistake.