Tauranga Bay Spot ID
Type: beach and point
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell WSW | Wind ESE
Sea Temperature Today is: 13.7 °C
Tauranga Bay in West Coast South Island is an exposed beach and point break that has fairly consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. Offshore winds are from the east southeast with some shelter here from south winds. Waves can be ok even in light onshore winds Waves just as likely from local windswells as from distant groundswells and the optimum swell angle is from the west southwest. The beach breaks offer left-handers and also offers a left hand point break too. Surfable at all stages of the tide. It's sometimes crowded here. Submerged rocks are a hazard.
Overall Tauranga Bay Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
The rose diagram shows the variation of swells directed at Tauranga Bay through a typic... (show all text)
This picture illustrates how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different ... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Tauranga Bay surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to West Coast South Island surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Tauranga Bay
Tide stations nearest to Tauranga Bay:
- Closest tide stationWestport7 mi
- Second closest tide stationGreymouth47 mi
- Third closest tide stationHokitika River Bar70 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationMotueka92 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationMapua93 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Tauranga Bay:
- Closest ski areaRainbow73 mi
- Second closest ski areaTemple Basin80 mi
- Third closest ski areaHanmer86 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaCraigieburn94 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaBroken River94 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Tauranga Bay:
- Closest city locationNelson100 mi
- Second closest city locationBlenheim131 mi
- Third closest city locationChristchurch137 mi
- Fourth closest city locationWellington175 mi
- Fifth closest city locationPorirua181 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Tauranga Bay is Westport Airport (WSZ) in New Zealand, which is 11 km (7 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Tauranga Bay is Hokitika Airport (HKK), also in New Zealand, 112 km (70 miles) away.
- The third closest airport is Nelson Airport (NSN), also in New Zealand, 156 km (97 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Tauranga Bay, West Coast South Island. Use the tab navigation above to view Tauranga Bay sea temperature, Tauranga Bay photographs, Tauranga Bay detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Tauranga Bay webcams, current wind from West Coast South Island live weather stations and Tauranga Bay tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Tauranga Bay.