Tarantulas Spot ID
Type: beach and reef
Best: Swell SW | Wind NE
Sea Temperature Today is: 19.0 °C
Tarantulas in Santa Barbara is an exposed beach and reef break that has consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. The best wind direction is from the northeast. Tends to receive a mix of groundswells and windswells and the best swell direction is from the southwest. A right hand reef. Often Crowded. Beware of rips and rocks.
For Cojo, 8 km from Tarantulas.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At BUOY-PTGC1, 16 km from Tarantulas.
|strong winds from the N|
At Santa Barbara Buoy, 16 miles from Tarantulas.
|Data Age||5 hr||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||5||5||5||5|
Overall Tarantulas Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in August
The graph describes the combination of swells directed at Tarantulas over a normal Augu... (show all text)
The rose diagram shows how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directi... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Tarantulas surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to CAL - Santa Barbara surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Tarantulas
Visitor Reviews of Tarantulas
“I lived here for 12 years. The left can be world class, the right longer but not as perfect compared to the left when it is at its best.
Quality on a good day: 4 - straight west 18 sec. swell, offshore, med tide.
Water quality: 4-5 No creek mouth at T's, no issues other than visibility
Crowds: 3. Weekdays, dawn patrols, late pm glass offs. No crowd issues
Other options: 2
Equipment: 2 (park store has minimal board supplies
Windsurfing/Kite boarding: 5 (an international destination for experts)
Local Attitude: 4
Eating: 2 (ok breakfast & lunch grub at park store)
Regional rating: 4
Accommodations: 1 (camping only)
Drinking: 5 (park store)
Onshore wind: 3 (if kelp is thick, rating higher)
Stanton Foster from UNITED STATES - 31 Aug 2010
Tide stations nearest to Tarantulas:
- Closest tide stationOil Platform Harvest (Topex Project)10 mi
- Second closest tide stationPoint Arguello10 mi
- Third closest tide stationGaviota16 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationCuyler Harbor, San Miguel Island32 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationIsla Vista37 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Tarantulas:
- Closest ski areaAlta Sierra at Shirley Meadows (United States)138 mi
- Second closest ski areaMountain High resort (United States)161 mi
- Third closest ski areaMt Baldy (United States)161 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaSunrise Ski Area (United States)161 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaSnow Valley (United States)199 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Tarantulas:
- Closest city locationLompoc (United States)10 mi
- Second closest city locationOrcutt (United States)25 mi
- Third closest city locationSanta Maria (United States)32 mi
- Fourth closest city locationGoleta (United States)39 mi
- Fifth closest city locationSanta Barbara (United States)45 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Tarantulas is Vandenberg Afb (Lompoc) Airport (VBG) in USA, 26 km (16 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Tarantulas is Point Mugu Nas Airport (NTD), also in USA, 134 km (83 miles) away.
- Third is Meadows Fld (Bakersfield) Airport (BFL) in USA, 167 km (104 miles) away.
- Burbank Glendale Pasadena Airport (BUR) in USA is 200 km (124 miles) away.
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Tarantulas and is 202 km (125 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Tarantulas, CAL - Santa Barbara. Use the tab navigation above to view Tarantulas sea temperature, Tarantulas photographs, Tarantulas detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Tarantulas webcams, current wind from CAL - Santa Barbara live weather stations and Tarantulas tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Tarantulas.