St Andrews Spot ID
Best: Swell NE | Wind SW
Sea Temperature Today is: 9.7 °C
St Andrews on the East Coast is a quite exposed beach break that has unreliable waves. Winter is the best time of year for surfing here. The best wind direction is from the southwest. Waves just as likely from local windswells as from distant groundswells and the best swell direction is from the northeast. Waves at the beach are both lefts and rights. When it's working here, it can get crowded. Watch out for dangerous rips.
Overall St Andrews Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in December
This chart describes the variation of swells directed at St Andrews over a normal Decem... (show all text)
This image shows how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different directio... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single St Andrews surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Scot - East Coast surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of St Andrews
Visitor Reviews of St Andrews
“An inconsistent break! Mainly windswept crap.. or 2 ft closeouts.. but when its a 10 ft NE swell with offshore winds it can go off! Low tide go to the cliff end of the beach and at mid to high tide go to the sandbar near the harbor wall. 7 miles down the coast there is a much better break called kings barns... there are three different waves at the same beach.. called the point' pole and the beach. The pole is a reef and has got a short left slab.. which breaks on a NW swell tends to be hollow! (works on high tide) the beach works on any swell really.. had an awesome session there. perfect beach break peaks on its day.. can be hollow too! (works at high tide) and the point is a lovely long right hander.. a mini thurso east on its day.. some barrel sections.. breaks over large boulders. Can be unforgiving considering there is no kelp just plain reef. Some dry sections as well... heard there's a nice left as well which I have to try out! Only go at high tide unless you want to snap your fins! No crowds as well.”
andrew from UNITED KINGDOM - 18 Apr 2012
Tide stations nearest to St Andrews:
- Closest tide stationSaint Andrews1 mi
- Second closest tide stationDundee11 mi
- Third closest tide stationCarnoustie11 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationLeven12 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationBuckhaven16 mi
Ski Resorts closest to St Andrews:
- Closest ski areaGlenshee (United Kingdom)42 mi
- Second closest ski areaThe Lecht (United Kingdom)62 mi
- Third closest ski areaCairngorm (United Kingdom)64 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaGlencoe Mountain Resort (United Kingdom)80 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaNevis Range (United Kingdom)91 mi
Town and city forecasts close to St Andrews:
- Closest city locationDundee (United Kingdom)12 mi
- Second closest city locationGlenrothes (United Kingdom)18 mi
- Third closest city locationKirkcaldy (United Kingdom)21 mi
- Fourth closest city locationPerth (United Kingdom)25 mi
- Fifth closest city locationDunfermline (United Kingdom)32 mi
- The closest passenger airport to St Andrews is Leuchars Airport (ADX) in U.k, 6 km (4 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to St Andrews is Dundee Airport (DND), also in U.k, 19 km (12 miles) away.
- Third is Edinburgh Airport (EDI) in U.k, 57 km (35 miles) away.
- Dyce (Aberdeen) Airport (ABZ) in U.k is 102 km (63 miles) away.
- Glasgow Airport (GLA), also in U.k is the fifth nearest airport to St Andrews and is 115 km (71 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for St Andrews, Scot - East Coast. Use the tab navigation above to view St Andrews sea temperature, St Andrews photographs, St Andrews detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, St Andrews webcams, current wind from Scot - East Coast live weather stations and St Andrews tide predictions. The United Kingdom swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United Kingdom and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United Kingdom wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around St Andrews.