South Bird Rock Surf Forecast and Surf Reports
(San Diego County, USA)
South Bird Rock Spot ID
Photo credit: carles
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SW | Wind NE
Sea Temperature Today is: 16.6 °C
South Bird Rock in San Diego County is an exposed reef break that has fairly consistent surf. Summer offers the best conditions for surfing. Offshore winds blow from the northeast. Clean groundswells prevail and the ideal swell angle is from the southwest. There are left and right breaking reefs. Best around mid tide when the tide is falling. It's often crowded here. Take care to avoid the rocks.
For Crown Point, Mission Bay, California, 5 km from South Bird Rock.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At San Diego, 4 km from South Bird Rock.
At San Clemente Basin Buoy, 49 miles from South Bird Rock.
|Data Age||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||8||8||8||8|
Overall South Bird Rock Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in April
This chart illustrates the variation of swells directed at South Bird Rock over a norma... (show all text)
This image describes how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different dire... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single South Bird Rock surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to CAL - San Diego County surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of South Bird Rock
Visitor Reviews of South Bird Rock
Tide stations nearest to South Bird Rock:
- Closest tide stationCrown Point, Mission Bay3 mi
- Second closest tide stationLa Jolla, Scripps Pier4 mi
- Third closest tide stationQuivira Basin, Mission Bay4 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationSan Diego, Quarantine Station8 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationSan Diego9 mi
Ski Resorts closest to South Bird Rock:
- Closest ski areaSnow Valley (United States)98 mi
- Second closest ski areaMt Baldy (United States)99 mi
- Third closest ski areaBig Bear Mountain (United States)100 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaSnow Summit (United States)100 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaBear Mountain (United States)106 mi
Town and city forecasts close to South Bird Rock:
- Closest city locationSan Diego (United States)6 mi
- Second closest city locationNational City (United States)14 mi
- Third closest city locationLa Mesa (United States)15 mi
- Fourth closest city locationEncinitas (United States)16 mi
- Fifth closest city locationSpring Valley (United States)17 mi
- The closest passenger airport to South Bird Rock is San Diego International Lindbergh Fld Airport (SAN) in USA, 12 km (7 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to South Bird Rock is Miramar Mcas Airport (NKX), also in USA, 14 km (9 miles) away.
- Third is North Island Nas (San Diego) Airport (NZY) in USA, 14 km (9 miles) away.
- General Abelardo L Rodriguez International (Tijuana) Airport (TIJ) in Mexico is 42 km (26 miles) away.
- John Wayne Arpt Orange Co (Santa Ana) Airport (SNA) in USA is the fifth nearest airport to South Bird Rock and is 111 km (69 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for South Bird Rock, CAL - San Diego County. Use the tab navigation above to view South Bird Rock sea temperature, South Bird Rock photographs, South Bird Rock detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, South Bird Rock webcams, current wind from CAL - San Diego County live weather stations and South Bird Rock tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around South Bird Rock.