Sodwana Surf Forecast and Surf Reports
(KwaZulu-Natal North Coast, South Africa)
Sodwana Spot ID
Type: beach and reef
Best: Swell SE | Wind NW
Sea Temperature Today is: 24.7 °C
Sodwana in Kwazulu-Natal is an exposed beach and reef break that has unreliable waves. Summer offers the best conditions for surfing. Offshore winds are from the northwest. Tends to receive a mix of groundswells and windswells and the best swell direction is from the southeast. Waves at the beach are both lefts and rights. Unlikely to be too crowded, even when the surf is up. Beware of sharks and rocks.
Overall Sodwana Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in May
This image describes the combination of swells directed at Sodwana through a typical Ma... (show all text)
The graph shows how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directions thr... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Sodwana surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to KZN North surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Sodwana
Visitor Reviews of Sodwana
“Waste of time, petrol and holiday destination.
NO FREE ACCESS TO THE BEACH
R120 Dec 2014...for 2 people and a car to go see if its glassy enough for a paddle
Not a surfers spot, just up country destination for fishermen and divers .. drunken at that, can't understand it as no alcohol is allowed on any beach or public area
So if you would like to hang out at Boksburg by the Sea, then pull in,
for a Surfie?...BAH!..never again”
ragged from SOUTH AFRICA - 20 Dec 2014
Tide stations nearest to Sodwana:
- Closest tide stationMaputo78 mi
- Second closest tide stationMatola81 mi
- Third closest tide stationeSikhawini137 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationBallitoville197 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationDurban221 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Sodwana:
- Closest ski areaAfri-Ski (Lesotho)279 mi
- Second closest ski areaTiffindell (South Africa)387 mi
- Third closest ski areaMatroosberg (South Africa)898 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaSepidan Ski Resort (Iran (Islamic Republic of))4166 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaPooladkaf Ski Resort (Iran (Islamic Republic of))4169 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Sodwana:
- Closest city locationMaputo (Mozambique)81 mi
- Second closest city locationMatola (Mozambique)81 mi
- Third closest city locationManzini (Swaziland)103 mi
- Fourth closest city locationMbabane (Swaziland)118 mi
- Fifth closest city locationEmpangeni (South Africa)128 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Sodwana is Maputo Airport (MPM) in Mozambique, 133 km (83 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Sodwana is Matsapha (Manzini) Airport (MTS) in Swaziland, 165 km (102 miles) away.
- Third is Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi (Ulundi) Airport (ULD) in South Africa, 196 km (122 miles) away.
- Richards Bay (Richard's Bay) Airport (RCB) in South Africa is 198 km (123 miles) away.
- Vryheid Airport (VYD), also in South Africa is the fifth nearest airport to Sodwana and is 216 km (134 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Sodwana, KZN North. Use the tab navigation above to view Sodwana sea temperature, Sodwana photographs, Sodwana detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Sodwana webcams, current wind from KZN North live weather stations and Sodwana tide predictions. The South Africa swell maps link will open up the big picture showing South Africa and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from South Africa wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Sodwana.