Smiths Beach Spot ID
Type: beach and point
Best: Swell S | Wind N
Sea Temperature Today is: 11.9 °C
Smiths Beach in Phillip Island is a fairly exposed beach and point break that has inconsistent surf with no particular seasonal pattern. The best wind direction is from the north. Tends to receive distant groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the south. Waves at the beach are both lefts and rights and in addition, there is also a left hand point break. Best around mid tide. When the surf is up, crowds are likely Hazards include rocks, rips and sharks.
Overall Smiths Beach Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in July
This image describes the combination of swells directed at Smiths Beach through an aver... (show all text)
The graph shows how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directions ove... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Smiths Beach surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to VIC - Phillip Island surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Smiths Beach
- The closest passenger airport to Smiths Beach is Melbourne Moorabbin Airport (MBW) in Australia, 61 km (38 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Smiths Beach is Avalon Airport (AVV), also in Australia, 86 km (53 miles) away.
- Third is Melbourne Essendon Airport (MEB) in Australia, 92 km (57 miles) away.
- Melbourne International Airport (MEL) in Australia is 99 km (61 miles) away.
- Albury Airport (ABX), also in Australia is the fifth nearest airport to Smiths Beach and is 310 km (193 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Smiths Beach, VIC - Phillip Island. Use the tab navigation above to view Smiths Beach sea temperature, Smiths Beach photographs, Smiths Beach detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Smiths Beach webcams, current wind from VIC - Phillip Island live weather stations and Smiths Beach tide predictions. The Australia swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Australia and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Australia wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Smiths Beach.