Sker Spot ID
Type: beach and point
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SW | Wind E
Sea Temperature Today is: 15.4 °C
Sker in The Vale of Glamorgan is a fairly exposed beach and point break that has pretty consitent surf and can work at any time of the year. Works best in offshore winds from the east. Clean groundswells prevail and the ideal swell direction is from the southwest. The beach breaks offer lefts and rights. Good surf at all stages of the tide. Beware of crowds / jellyfish.
Overall Sker Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
This image describes the combination of swells directed at Sker through a typical June,... (show all text)
The graph shows how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directions thr... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Sker surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Wales - South East surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Sker
Visitor Reviews of Sker
“Sker is at the end of a 20minute long hack on foot across Kenfig bird reserve or an equally long walk along the coastal path from Rest Bay (heading west). The waves can make it worthwhile as it packs a little more punch than Rest Bay on account of its hollower shape and distinct sections, caused by the more irregular beach contours. I have been here frequently and seen wave shapes varying from short lived makeable barrels to fat characterless lines. A classic surf is not guaranteed particularly given Sker's significant exposure to winds, but it can be a class act on occasion. The backdrop comprises low lying dunes so chose your visits carefully because its a long walk if the winds are wrong.
At higher tides the break is sheltered from southerly chop by a long low rocky point, but alas not from the wind itself so the peak can still get blown out easily. Rising tides are always best and aim for mid to high ideally. Crowds are relatively light due to the long walk but don't expect empty peaks unless it is deep winter and/or the middle of a work day. Having said that there is a huge stretch of beach heading west of the point so as long as you don't mind walking away from the best peaks and towards an ugly steel works you can surf alone.
The local Prince of Wales pub found on the Kenfig route is an old haunt of the famous dude Howard Marks. The Rest Bay coastal route offers more options for food and drink and much less chance of a car break in.”
Q, VoG from UNITED KINGDOM - 08 Mar 2010
Tide stations nearest to Sker:
- Closest tide stationPorthcawl2 mi
- Second closest tide stationPyle2 mi
- Third closest tide stationBriton Ferry9 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationMumbles11 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationSwansea11 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Sker:
- Closest ski areaAnother World Ski and Snowboard Centre175 mi
- Second closest ski areaRaise213 mi
- Third closest ski areaWeardale Ski Club230 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaHarwood Common231 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaYad Moss231 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Sker:
- Closest city locationCoity9 mi
- Second closest city locationBriton Ferry9 mi
- Third closest city locationNeath11 mi
- Fourth closest city locationSwansea12 mi
- Fifth closest city locationRhondda16 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Sker is Swansea Airport (SWS) in Wales, 25 km (16 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Sker is Cardiff Airport (CWL), also in Wales, 30 km (19 miles) away.
- Third is Bristol Airport (BRS) in England, 73 km (45 miles) away.
- Bristol Filton Airport (FZO) in England is 80 km (50 miles) away.
- Exeter Airport (EXT), also in England is the fifth nearest airport to Sker and is 88 km (55 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Sker, Wales - South East. Use the tab navigation above to view Sker sea temperature, Sker photographs, Sker detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Sker webcams, current wind from Wales - South East live weather stations and Sker tide predictions. The United Kingdom swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United Kingdom and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United Kingdom wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Sker.