Short Sands Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell NE | Wind SW
Sea Temperature Today is: 15.3 °C
Short Sands_1 in Maine is an exposed beach break that has quite reliable surf. Winter is the optimum time of year for surfing here. The best wind direction is from the southwest. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the optimum swell angle is from the northeast. Waves at the beach break both left and right. Good surf at all stages of the tide. Rarely crowded here. Beware of rips, rocks and pollution.
For Cape Neddick, Maine, 2 km from Short Sands.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At York, 1 km from Short Sands.
|light winds from the S|
At Western Maine Shelf Buoy, 9 miles from Short Sands.
|Data Age||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
Overall Short Sands Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
The figure illustrates the variation of swells directed at Short Sands over a normal Ju... (show all text)
This chart describes how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different dire... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Short Sands surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Maine surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Short Sands
Tide stations nearest to Short Sands:
- Closest tide stationCape Neddick1 mi
- Second closest tide stationYork Harbor4 mi
- Third closest tide stationSeapoint, Cutts Island7 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationKittery Point, Portsmouth Harbor8 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationFort Point, Portsmouth Harbor9 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Short Sands:
- Closest ski areaPowderhouse Hill11 mi
- Second closest ski areaBradford Ski Area34 mi
- Third closest ski areaMcIntyre Ski Area44 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaGunstock46 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaKing Pine54 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Short Sands:
- Closest city locationDover14 mi
- Second closest city locationRochester21 mi
- Third closest city locationWest Scarborough29 mi
- Fourth closest city locationHaverhill37 mi
- Fifth closest city locationSouth Portland37 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Short Sands is Portland International Jetport Airport (PWM) in USA, 57 km (35 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Short Sands is Laurence G Hanscom Fld (Bedford) Airport (BED), also in USA, 96 km (60 miles) away.
- Third is General Edward Lawrence Logan International (Boston) Airport (BOS) in USA, 96 km (60 miles) away.
- Augusta State Airport (AUG) in USA is 143 km (89 miles) away.
- North Central State (Smithfield) Airport (SFZ), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Short Sands and is 157 km (98 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Short Sands, Maine. Use the tab navigation above to view Short Sands sea temperature, Short Sands photographs, Short Sands detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Short Sands webcams, current wind from Maine live weather stations and Short Sands tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Short Sands.