Short Sands Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell NE | Wind SW
Sea Temperature Today is: 5.4 °C
Short Sands_1 in Maine is an exposed beach break that has quite reliable surf. Winter is the optimum time of year for surfing here. The best wind direction is from the southwest. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the optimum swell angle is from the northeast. Waves at the beach break both left and right. Good surf at all stages of the tide. Rarely crowded here. Beware of rips, rocks and pollution.
For Cape Neddick, Maine, 2 km from Short Sands.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At York, 1 km from Short Sands.
|light winds from the S|
At Western Maine Shelf Buoy, 9 miles from Short Sands.
|Data Age||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||3||3||3||3|
Overall Short Sands Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in February
This chart illustrates the range of swells directed at Short Sands through an average F... (show all text)
This image describes how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different direct... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Short Sands surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Maine surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Short Sands
- The closest passenger airport to Short Sands_1 is Portland International Jetport Airport (PWM) in USA, 57 km (35 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Short Sands_1 is Laurence G Hanscom Fld (Bedford) Airport (BED), also in USA, 96 km (60 miles) away.
- Third is General Edward Lawrence Logan International (Boston) Airport (BOS) in USA, 96 km (60 miles) away.
- Augusta State Airport (AUG) in USA is 143 km (89 miles) away.
- North Central State (Smithfield) Airport (SFZ), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Short Sands_1 and is 157 km (98 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Short Sands, Maine. Use the tab navigation above to view Short Sands sea temperature, Short Sands photographs, Short Sands detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Short Sands webcams, current wind from Maine live weather stations and Short Sands tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Short Sands.