Short Point Surf Forecast and Surf Reports
(Far South New South Wales, Australia)
Short Point Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell NE | Wind WNW
Sea Temperature Today is: 19.9 °C
Short Point in Far South Australia is an exposed beach break that has pretty consitent surf, although summer tends to be mostly flat. Works best in offshore winds from the WNW with some shelter here from SE winds. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the NE. Waves at the beach are both lefts and rights. Good surf at all stages of the tide. When the surf is up, crowds are likely Sharks have been reported here.
Overall Short Point Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in May
The rose diagram shows the range of swells directed at Short Point through a typical Ma... (show all text)
This picture illustrates how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different di... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Short Point surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to NSW - Far South surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Short Point
Visitor Reviews of Short Point
“It is true that Short Point can get crowded. The guide suggests that NW winds are offshore for Short Point. This is untrue. The place faces NE and is quite sheltered from sou-souwest winds. The surprise is that in summer the surrounding places can be flat, but Short Point will funnel and hold NE wind swells, and although messy and difficult to know where the take-off spot is, can provide some fun peaks on those blustery days. It is however, one of those places which looks much better from the carpark than it actually is. High tides can be frustrating. Low tides can produce shutdowns, with OK rights and a suicidal left further up the beach. Winter is the best time, with the south swells swinging into the bay and the cold and brisk offshore SW winds holding up some treasures.”
Phil Osopher from AUSTRALIA - 26 Feb 2011
Tide stations nearest to Short Point:
- Closest tide stationMerimbula2 mi
- Second closest tide stationEden12 mi
- Third closest tide stationBermagui32 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationGabo Island47 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationMoruya70 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Short Point:
- Closest ski areaPerisher (Australia)91 mi
- Second closest ski areaThredbo (Australia)94 mi
- Third closest ski areaCharlotte Pass (Australia)94 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaSelwyn Snowfields (Australia)107 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaFalls Creek (Australia)147 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Short Point:
- Closest city locationQueanbeyan (Australia)114 mi
- Second closest city locationCanberra Capital Hill (Australia)119 mi
- Third closest city locationCanberra (Australia)119 mi
- Fourth closest city locationNowra (Australia)144 mi
- Fifth closest city locationAlbury (Australia)177 mi
- The nearest passenger airport to Short Point is Canberra Airport (CBR) in Australia, which is 188 km (117 miles) away (directly).
- The second closest airport to Short Point is Albury Airport (ABX), also in Australia, 281 km (175 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Short Point, NSW - Far South. Use the tab navigation above to view Short Point sea temperature, Short Point photographs, Short Point detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Short Point webcams, current wind from NSW - Far South live weather stations and Short Point tide predictions. The Australia swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Australia and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Australia wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Short Point.