Shark Alley Surf Forecast and Surf Reports
(Great Barrier Island, New Zealand)
Shark Alley Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell NE | Wind SW
Sea Temperature Today is: 19.8 °C
Shark Alley in Great Barrier Island is a quite exposed reef break that has fairly consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. Ideal winds are from the southwest. Groundswells more frequent than windswells and the ideal swell direction is from the northeast. The beach break offers both left and right hand waves and there is right hand reef break too.. Good surf at all stages of the tide. Relatively few surfers here, even on good days. Beware of rips, sharks.
For Tryphena, New Zealand, 6 km from Shark Alley.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Hauraki Gulf (Channel Island), 23 km from Shark Alley.
|light winds from the E|
No weather report
Overall Shark Alley Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in April
The rose diagram shows the combination of swells directed at Shark Alley through an ave... (show all text)
This picture illustrates how often and how strongly the wind blows from different direc... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Shark Alley surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Great Barrier Island surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Shark Alley
Visitor Reviews of Shark Alley
“The setup reminds me of a shallow version of Boneyards at Kiama in NSW. As the break faces North it is sheltered and very surfable in a SE wind. Watch your fins on the shallow boulders that poke up to the surface on the inside. A quality boulder reef setup that likes a solid 5ft+ of swell to show its true colours.”
Moggy from AUSTRALIA - 21 May 2010
Tide stations nearest to Shark Alley:
- Closest tide stationTryphena4 mi
- Second closest tide stationNagle Cove13 mi
- Third closest tide stationPort Jackson17 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationMokohinau Island34 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationCoromandel Harbour35 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Shark Alley:
- Closest ski areaWhakapapa (New Zealand)204 mi
- Second closest ski areaTukino (New Zealand)208 mi
- Third closest ski areaTuroa (New Zealand)211 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaManganui (New Zealand)224 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaRainbow (New Zealand)413 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Shark Alley:
- Closest city locationNorthshore (New Zealand)55 mi
- Second closest city locationManukau (New Zealand)60 mi
- Third closest city locationWaitakere (New Zealand)67 mi
- Fourth closest city locationAuckland (New Zealand)68 mi
- Fifth closest city locationWhangarei (New Zealand)76 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Shark Alley is Auckland International Airport (AKL) in New Zealand, 104 km (65 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Shark Alley is Whangarei Airport (WRE), also in New Zealand, 117 km (73 miles) away.
- Third is Tauranga Airport (TRG) in New Zealand, 168 km (104 miles) away.
- Hamilton Airport (HLZ) in New Zealand is 178 km (111 miles) away.
- Kerikeri Airport (KKE), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Shark Alley and is 182 km (113 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Shark Alley, Great Barrier Island. Use the tab navigation above to view Shark Alley sea temperature, Shark Alley photographs, Shark Alley detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Shark Alley webcams, current wind from Great Barrier Island live weather stations and Shark Alley tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Shark Alley.