Scarborough Spot ID
Best: Swell ENE | Wind SW
Sea Temperature Today is: 10.4 °C
Scarborough in Canterbury is a fairly exposed beach break that only works when conditions are just right with no particular seasonal pattern. Ideal winds are from the southwest. Groundswells more frequent than windswells and the best swell direction is from the east northeast. The beach break offers both left and right hand waves. Best around mid tide. It's sometimes crowded here.
Overall Scarborough Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
This picture illustrates the range of swells directed at Scarborough through a typical ... (show all text)
The figure describes how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different direct... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Scarborough surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Canterbury surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Scarborough
Visitor Reviews of Scarborough
“A great spot for learners and kids very safe, only hazard is there is a rip at each end of beach.”
stephanie from NEW ZEALAND - 29 Dec 2011
Tide stations nearest to Scarborough:
- Closest tide stationLyttelton4 mi
- Second closest tide stationChristchurch6 mi
- Third closest tide stationKaiapoi15 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationAkaroa17 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationKaikoura93 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Scarborough:
- Closest ski areaPorters60 mi
- Second closest ski areaMount Cheeseman62 mi
- Third closest ski areaMount Hutt62 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaBroken River63 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaCraigieburn63 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Scarborough:
- Closest city locationChristchurch6 mi
- Second closest city locationTimaru95 mi
- Third closest city locationBlenheim154 mi
- Fourth closest city locationNelson160 mi
- Fifth closest city locationWellington188 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Scarborough is Christchurch International Airport (CHC) in New Zealand, which is 22 km (14 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Scarborough is Timaru Airport (TIU), also in New Zealand, 149 km (93 miles) away.
- The third closest airport is Hokitika Airport (HKK), also in New Zealand, 174 km (108 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Scarborough, Canterbury. Use the tab navigation above to view Scarborough sea temperature, Scarborough photographs, Scarborough detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Scarborough webcams, current wind from Canterbury live weather stations and Scarborough tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Scarborough.