Ruby Bay Spot ID
Best: Swell N | Wind SW
Sea Temperature Today is: 10.8 °C
Ruby Bay in Nelson - Tasman Bay is a fairly exposed point break that does not work very often with no particular seasonal pattern. Offshore winds blow from the southwest with some shelter here from west winds. Easily blown out by onshore winds Tends to receive a mix of groundswells and windswells and the ideal swell angle is from the north. The point breaks are all lefts. Best around mid tide. Sometimes crowded.
Overall Ruby Bay Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
This picture illustrates the combination of swells directed at Ruby Bay over a normal J... (show all text)
The figure describes how often and how strongly the wind blows from different direction... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Ruby Bay surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Nelson - Tasman Bay surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Ruby Bay
Visitor Reviews of Ruby Bay
“Could Ruby Bay be the mellowest wave in the World? The only place I have ever surfed that provides such soft waves that peel for such big distances in the Kyle of Tongue on the north coast of Scotland.
It's a nice spot, with an good campsite next to the beach. It really needs a big NW swell to work because there is such a small window of exposure into Tasman Bay. Most often, it works the day after a NW gale has generated a big local wind swell.
The wave peels for hundreds of metres over sand and gravel, mostly a very long left but with shorter sections that peel right back to the beach. In theory, it should be possible to ride waves for more than a kilometer, maybe two on one of those rare days every 5 years when the is a big NW cyclone swell. Heading West around the headland in the direction of Motueka it looks as if there are any number of spots that could also work if the swell is big enough.
For longboards, paddle boards and learners who like their surf slow and mellow, this is a good spot but for shortboarders if you see small waves at Ruby Bay and the wind is light, head to Schnappers because it will be much bigger and much more punchy. If Ruby Bay actually looks big enough to justify a short-board, just imagine how much better Cable Bay must be, or even high tide at nearby Rabbit Island.
Mapua is not far away and provides shops, pubs and eateries as well as places to stay if you don't camp right here. Head down to the Wharf area.”
Rob Davies from NEW ZEALAND - 06 Mar 2010
Tide stations nearest to Ruby Bay:
- Closest tide stationMapua2 mi
- Second closest tide stationMotueka7 mi
- Third closest tide stationRichmond9 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationNelson10 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationAstrolabe Road17 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Ruby Bay:
- Closest ski areaRainbow (New Zealand)47 mi
- Second closest ski areaHanmer (New Zealand)85 mi
- Third closest ski areaMount Lyford (New Zealand)85 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaTemple Basin (New Zealand)141 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaManganui (New Zealand)142 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Ruby Bay:
- Closest city locationNelson (New Zealand)11 mi
- Second closest city locationBlenheim (New Zealand)50 mi
- Third closest city locationWellington (New Zealand)88 mi
- Fourth closest city locationPorirua (New Zealand)92 mi
- Fifth closest city locationLower Hutt (New Zealand)95 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Ruby Bay is Nelson Airport (NSN) in New Zealand, 15 km (9 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Ruby Bay is Woodbourne Airport (BHE), also in New Zealand, 74 km (46 miles) away.
- Third is Westport Airport (WSZ) in New Zealand, 138 km (86 miles) away.
- Wellington International Airport (WLG) in New Zealand is 144 km (89 miles) away.
- Paraparaumu Airport (PPQ), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Ruby Bay and is 163 km (101 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Ruby Bay, Nelson - Tasman Bay. Use the tab navigation above to view Ruby Bay sea temperature, Ruby Bay photographs, Ruby Bay detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Ruby Bay webcams, current wind from Nelson - Tasman Bay live weather stations and Ruby Bay tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Ruby Bay.