Rhossili Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell W | Wind E
Sea Temperature Today is: 17.2 °C
Rhossili on Gower is a fairly exposed beach break that has quite consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. The best wind direction is from the east with some shelter here from south winds. Groundswells and windswells are equally likely and the ideal swell angle is from the west. The beach breaks offer lefts and rights. The quality of the surf isn't affected by the tide. When it's working here, it can get crowded.
For Boiler Left, 6 km from Rhossili.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Llanelli, 16 km from Rhossili.
|light winds from the SE|
At Pembroke Buoy, 35 miles from Rhossili.
|Data Age||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Average period (s)||6||6||6||6|
Overall Rhossili Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in July
This image illustrates the range of swells directed at Rhossili through an average July... (show all text)
The graph describes how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different directi... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Rhossili surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Wales - Gower surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Rhossili
Visitor Reviews of Rhossili
“Rhossili beach is spectacular and the view towards Worm's Head is one of the finest in Wales. It provides surfers with a consistent beach break and is big enough to accommodate large numbers in the water without seeming crowded. It's actually the southern end of the same beach as Llangennith.
The waves here are usually about one third smaller than at Llangennith; smaller than that right under the cliffs. This can be a good thing if Llangennith is too big and you can't handle the paddle out. More often that not the swell in South Wales is too small rather than too big and the extra bit of size on offer at Llangennith is a good thing. Thus Rhossili is a poor second choice if 'gennith is working.
About half way between the two access points, right in front of the Old Rectory (a house that can be rented from the National Trust), you can usually find an uncrowded area even on the busiest days.
When the wind is from a southerly quarter, the high cliffs at Rhossili offer some shelter making for less cross-chop than at Llangennith and on these occasions is can get fairly crowded. Rare easterly gales are tamed by Rhossili Downs too - another situation when this may be a better bet than Llangennith.
The surf at Rhossili is always softer than at Llangennith but it can be good quality, especially for longboarders. Long rides are common but I have never seen it get even slightly hollow. The break works at all stages of the tide, but high tide is best, just as long as the tide isn't so big that it is up on the pebble bank, in which case the wave gets too fat. The shallow beach profile means that long period swells tend to back off regardless of the tide.
You can find a pub, a shop and a couple of cafes in the village overlooking the beach, right by the car park.”
webmaster from UNITED KINGDOM - 07 Mar 2010
Tide stations nearest to Rhossili:
- Closest tide stationBurry Port8 mi
- Second closest tide stationLlanelli9 mi
- Third closest tide stationMumbles14 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationSwansea16 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationBriton Ferry21 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Rhossili:
- Closest ski areaAnother World Ski and Snowboard Centre (United Kingdom)182 mi
- Second closest ski areaRaise (United Kingdom)212 mi
- Third closest ski areaWeardale Ski Club (United Kingdom)232 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaYad Moss (United Kingdom)232 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaHarwood Common (United Kingdom)233 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Rhossili:
- Closest city locationLlanelli (United Kingdom)9 mi
- Second closest city locationSwansea (United Kingdom)15 mi
- Third closest city locationBriton Ferry (United Kingdom)21 mi
- Fourth closest city locationNeath (United Kingdom)22 mi
- Fifth closest city locationCoity (United Kingdom)32 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Rhossili is Swansea Airport (SWS) in Wales, 16 km (10 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Rhossili is Cardiff Airport (CWL), also in Wales, 69 km (43 miles) away.
- Third is Bristol Airport (BRS) in England, 111 km (69 miles) away.
- Exeter Airport (EXT) in England is 112 km (70 miles) away.
- Bristol Filton Airport (FZO), also in England is the fifth nearest airport to Rhossili and is 118 km (73 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Rhossili, Wales - Gower. Use the tab navigation above to view Rhossili sea temperature, Rhossili photographs, Rhossili detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Rhossili webcams, current wind from Wales - Gower live weather stations and Rhossili tide predictions. The United Kingdom swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United Kingdom and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United Kingdom wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Rhossili.