Refugio State Beach Spot ID
Type: beach and point
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell W | Wind NNE
Sea Temperature Today is: 20.0 °C
Refugio State Beach in Santa Barbara is a fairly exposed beach and point break that has quite reliable surf. Winter is the optimum time of year for surfing here. Ideal winds are from the north northeast. Tends to receive distant groundswells and the optimum swell angle is from the west. Good surf at all stages of the tide. Often Crowded. Beware of rips, rocks, private, locals and sharks.
For Beavers, 2 km from Refugio State Beach.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Gaviota, 12 km from Refugio State Beach.
At East Santa Barbara Buoy, 20 miles from Refugio State Beach.
|Data Age||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr||0 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Average period (s)||5.6||5.7||5.7||5.7|
Overall Refugio State Beach Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
This picture describes the combination of swells directed at Refugio State Beach throug... (show all text)
The figure shows how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directions ov... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Refugio State Beach surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to CAL - Santa Barbara surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Refugio State Beach
Tide stations nearest to Refugio State Beach:
- Closest tide stationGaviota8 mi
- Second closest tide stationIsla Vista13 mi
- Third closest tide stationGoleta14 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationSanta Barbara23 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationMontecito25 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Refugio State Beach:
- Closest ski areaAlta Sierra at Shirley Meadows122 mi
- Second closest ski areaMountain High resort137 mi
- Third closest ski areaMt Baldy137 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaSunrise Ski Area137 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaSnow Valley175 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Refugio State Beach:
- Closest city locationGoleta14 mi
- Second closest city locationSanta Barbara21 mi
- Third closest city locationLompoc25 mi
- Fourth closest city locationOrcutt35 mi
- Fifth closest city locationSanta Maria40 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Refugio State Beach is Vandenberg Afb (Lompoc) Airport (VBG) in USA, 55 km (34 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Refugio State Beach is Point Mugu Nas Airport (NTD), also in USA, 96 km (60 miles) away.
- Third is Meadows Fld (Bakersfield) Airport (BFL) in USA, 143 km (89 miles) away.
- Burbank Glendale Pasadena Airport (BUR) in USA is 161 km (100 miles) away.
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Refugio State Beach and is 164 km (102 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Refugio State Beach, CAL - Santa Barbara. Use the tab navigation above to view Refugio State Beach sea temperature, Refugio State Beach photographs, Refugio State Beach detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Refugio State Beach webcams, current wind from CAL - Santa Barbara live weather stations and Refugio State Beach tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Refugio State Beach.