Rapahoe Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell WSW | Wind SE
Sea Temperature Today is: 9.9 °C
Rapahoe on the West Coast is an exposed beach break that has fairly consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. Works best in offshore winds from the southeast. Tends to receive a mix of groundswells and windswells and the best swell direction is from the west southwest. Waves at the beach are both lefts and rights. The quality of the surf isn't affected by the tide. Even when there are waves, it's not likley to be crowded. Watch out for dangerous rips.
Overall Rapahoe Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in July
This image illustrates the variation of swells directed at Rapahoe through a typical Ju... (show all text)
The graph describes how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different direc... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Rapahoe surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to West Coast South Island surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Rapahoe
Visitor Reviews of Rapahoe
Tide stations nearest to Rapahoe:
- Closest tide stationGreymouth4 mi
- Second closest tide stationHokitika River Bar27 mi
- Third closest tide stationWestport47 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationOkarito79 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationKaiapoi99 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Rapahoe:
- Closest ski areaTemple Basin (New Zealand)41 mi
- Second closest ski areaCraigieburn (New Zealand)56 mi
- Third closest ski areaBroken River (New Zealand)57 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaMount Cheeseman (New Zealand)59 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaMount Olympus (New Zealand)60 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Rapahoe:
- Closest city locationChristchurch (New Zealand)109 mi
- Second closest city locationNelson (New Zealand)129 mi
- Third closest city locationTimaru (New Zealand)140 mi
- Fourth closest city locationBlenheim (New Zealand)152 mi
- Fifth closest city locationWellington (New Zealand)198 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Rapahoe is Hokitika Airport (HKK) in New Zealand, 42 km (26 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Rapahoe is Westport Airport (WSZ), also in New Zealand, 77 km (48 miles) away.
- Third is Christchurch International Airport (CHC) in New Zealand, 162 km (101 miles) away.
- Mount Cook Airport (GTN) in New Zealand is 178 km (111 miles) away.
- Glentanner Airport (MON), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Rapahoe and is 192 km (119 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Rapahoe, West Coast South Island. Use the tab navigation above to view Rapahoe sea temperature, Rapahoe photographs, Rapahoe detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Rapahoe webcams, current wind from West Coast South Island live weather stations and Rapahoe tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Rapahoe.