Porridge Spot ID
Photo credit: grovel king
Type: reef and point
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell S | Wind NNE
Sea Temperature Today is: 14.2 °C
Porridge in Invercargill is an exposed reef and point break that has quite reliable surf and can work at any time of the year. Offshore winds blow from the north northeast. Groundswells and windswells are equally likely and the optimum swell angle is from the south.Surfers ride left hand point. Best around high tide. It very rarely gets crowded here. Beware of rips, rocks and sharks.
Overall Porridge Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in March
This image shows the combination of swells directed at Porridge through an average Marc... (show all text)
The graph illustrates how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directio... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Porridge surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Southland surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Porridge
- The closest passenger airport to Porridge is Invercargill Airport (IVC) in New Zealand, 46 km (29 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Porridge is Manapouri Airport (TEU), also in New Zealand, 89 km (55 miles) away.
- Third is Queenstown Airport (ZQN) in New Zealand, 166 km (103 miles) away.
- Alexandra Airport (ALR) in New Zealand is 179 km (111 miles) away.
- Dunedin Airport (DUD), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Porridge and is 196 km (122 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Porridge, Southland. Use the tab navigation above to view Porridge sea temperature, Porridge photographs, Porridge detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Porridge webcams, current wind from Southland live weather stations and Porridge tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Porridge.