Pohoiki Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell E | Wind WNW
Sea Temperature Today is: 26.3 °C
Pohoiki in Big Island is an exposed reef break that has pretty consitent surf and can work at any time of the year. Works best in offshore winds from the west northwest. Windswells and groundswells in equal measure and the ideal swell angle is from the east. Both left and right reef breaks. When it's working here, it can get crowded. Take care of urchins, rocks, locals and sharks.
Overall Pohoiki Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in November
This picture illustrates the variation of swells directed at Pohoiki through a typical ... (show all text)
The figure describes how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different dire... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Pohoiki surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to HAW - Big Island surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Pohoiki
Visitor Reviews of Pohoiki
“Position is a OK surf spot but it has serious localism issues.... Crowded on weekends and during weekday mornings the older (60 and above) crowd is out acting like they own the place, so noon on is a go...”
Eric from UNITED STATES - 26 Sep 2015
Tide stations nearest to Pohoiki:
- Closest tide stationHawaiian Paradise Park12 mi
- Second closest tide stationHilo, Hilo Bay24 mi
- Third closest tide stationHonuapo Island55 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationNapoopoo, Kealakekua Bay Island71 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationHolualoa75 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Pohoiki:
- Closest ski areaMt Ashland (United States)2443 mi
- Second closest ski areaMt Shasta (United States)2443 mi
- Third closest ski areaStover Mountain Ski Area (United States)2449 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaDodge Ridge (United States)2456 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaBadger Pass Ski Area (United States)2457 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Pohoiki:
- Closest city locationHilo (United States)24 mi
- Second closest city locationKahului (United States)144 mi
- Third closest city locationKailua (United States)231 mi
- Fourth closest city locationHonolulu (United States)233 mi
- Fifth closest city locationKane'ohe (United States)235 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Pohoiki is Hilo International Airport (ITO) in Usa Hawaii Isl., 36 km (22 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Pohoiki is Bradshaw Aaf Airport (BSF), also in Usa Hawaii Isl., 83 km (52 miles) away.
- Third is Waimea Kohala (Kamuela) Airport (MUE) in Usa Hawaii Isl., 106 km (66 miles) away.
- Kona International At Keahole Airport (KOA) in Usa Hawaii Isl. is 131 km (81 miles) away.
- Upolu (Opolu) Airport (UPP) in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Pohoiki and is 139 km (86 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Pohoiki, HAW - Big Island. Use the tab navigation above to view Pohoiki sea temperature, Pohoiki photographs, Pohoiki detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Pohoiki webcams, current wind from HAW - Big Island live weather stations and Pohoiki tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Pohoiki.