Playa Samara Spot ID
Photo credit: fer
Type: beach and reef
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SSW | Wind N
Sea Temperature Today is: 28.6 °C
Playa Samara in Golfo de Nicoya is an exposed beach and reef break that has quite consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. The best wind direction is from the north. Tends to receive distant groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the south southwest. The beach break provides left and right handers and in addition there are both left and right reef breaks. When it's working here, it can get crowded. Take care of Rips, shallow outside reefs.
Overall Playa Samara Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in May
The rose diagram describes the combination of swells directed at Playa Samara through a... (show all text)
This picture shows how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directions ... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Playa Samara surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Golfo de Nicoya surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Playa Samara
Ski Resorts closest to Playa Samara:
- The closest passenger airport to Playa Samara is Nosara Airport (NOB) in Costa Rica, 17 km (11 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Playa Samara is Daniel Oduber Quiros International (Liberia) Airport (LIR), also in Costa Rica, 79 km (49 miles) away.
- Third is Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO) in Costa Rica, 145 km (90 miles) away.
- Quepos Managua Airport (XQP) in Costa Rica is 161 km (100 miles) away.
- Palmar Sur Airport (PMZ), also in Costa Rica is the fifth nearest airport to Playa Samara and is 248 km (154 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Playa Samara, Golfo de Nicoya. Use the tab navigation above to view Playa Samara sea temperature, Playa Samara photographs, Playa Samara detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Playa Samara webcams, current wind from Golfo de Nicoya live weather stations and Playa Samara tide predictions. The Costa Rica swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Costa Rica and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Costa Rica wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Playa Samara.