Ogmore-by-Sea Spot ID
Best: Swell SW | Wind ENE
Sea Temperature Today is: 18.3 °C
Ogmore-by-Sea in The Vale of Glamorgan is a fairly exposed river break but has quite inconsistent surf, summer tends to be mostly flat. The best wind direction is from the north through to east. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the ideal swell angle is from the southwest. When it works the river break produces short left handers and longer rights. It's sometimes crowded here. Hazards include rips and pollution.
For Porthcawl, 5 km from Ogmore-by-Sea.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At St.Athan, 16 km from Ogmore-by-Sea.
|light winds from the ESE|
At Pembroke Buoy, 63 miles from Ogmore-by-Sea.
|Data Age||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr||0 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Average period (s)||6||6||6||6|
Overall Ogmore-by-Sea Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in July
This image describes the combination of swells directed at Ogmore-by-Sea over a normal ... (show all text)
The graph shows how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directions thr... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Ogmore-by-Sea surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Wales - South East surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Ogmore-by-Sea
Visitor Reviews of Ogmore-by-Sea
“There are several breaks at Ogmore each with their own character and work at different stages of the tide. The river mouth is definitely best at high tide and can produce long walls. Hollow waves can sometimes be found on spring tides when the waves break over a cobble bank that is sculpted by the river channel. Don't get too exited about this spot though because it doesn't work that often. It needs a big swell to get going and is always smaller than nearby Rest Bay. However, when the more exposed beaches are maxing out this place comes alive and it is always possible to paddle out in the river channel.
Words of warning, the Ogmore river is sometimes polluted by the sewage plant upstream. The water company of course claim that all the waste is treated but when it rains heavily their system can overload and untreated or partially treated gloop may be released. When it has been raining a lot, the trick is to catch the surf on an incoming high tide when the sea drives water upstream keeping the line-up turd free.
The waves can get crowded when word gets out of a good swell and it is best to leave the fast left in front of the car park to the locals when it is firing. At low tide, forget the river mouth (the beach profile is too gentle) and head to the far left beyond the car park where a long stretch of sand is exposed and sectioning lefts and rights can be found.
There is a great cafe in the village next to the post office and really good pub called the Pelican next to a small castle and the river.”
Q, VoG from UNITED KINGDOM - 06 Mar 2010
Tide stations nearest to Ogmore-by-Sea:
- Closest tide stationPorthcawl3 mi
- Second closest tide stationPyle4 mi
- Third closest tide stationLlantwit Major8 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationBriton Ferry14 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationNeath15 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Ogmore-by-Sea:
- Closest ski areaAnother World Ski and Snowboard Centre (United Kingdom)176 mi
- Second closest ski areaRaise (United Kingdom)215 mi
- Third closest ski areaWeardale Ski Club (United Kingdom)231 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaHarwood Common (United Kingdom)232 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaYad Moss (United Kingdom)232 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Ogmore-by-Sea:
- Closest city locationCoity (United Kingdom)6 mi
- Second closest city locationBriton Ferry (United Kingdom)14 mi
- Third closest city locationBarry (United Kingdom)15 mi
- Fourth closest city locationNeath (United Kingdom)15 mi
- Fifth closest city locationRhondda (United Kingdom)15 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Ogmore-by-Sea is Cardiff Airport (CWL) in Wales, 22 km (14 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Ogmore-by-Sea is Swansea Airport (SWS), also in Wales, 34 km (21 miles) away.
- Third is Bristol Airport (BRS) in England, 65 km (40 miles) away.
- Bristol Filton Airport (FZO) in England is 73 km (45 miles) away.
- Exeter Airport (EXT), also in England is the fifth nearest airport to Ogmore-by-Sea and is 83 km (52 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Ogmore-by-Sea, Wales - South East. Use the tab navigation above to view Ogmore-by-Sea sea temperature, Ogmore-by-Sea photographs, Ogmore-by-Sea detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Ogmore-by-Sea webcams, current wind from Wales - South East live weather stations and Ogmore-by-Sea tide predictions. The United Kingdom swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United Kingdom and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United Kingdom wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Ogmore-by-Sea.