Oakura Bay Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell ESE | Wind WSW
Sea Temperature Today is: 16.3 °C
Oakura Bay in Northland is a fairly exposed reef break that has quite reliable surf and can work at any time of the year. Works best in offshore winds from the west southwest and there is no shelter here from cross shore breezes. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the ideal swell angle is from the east southeast. The reef breaks offer lefts and rights. Best around high tide when the tide is rising. Even when there are waves, it's not likley to be crowded.
For Whangaruru Harbour, New Zealand, 3 km from Oakura Bay.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Okahu Island, 25 km from Oakura Bay.
|moderate winds from the N|
No weather report
Overall Oakura Bay Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
This picture describes the variation of swells directed at Oakura Bay through an averag... (show all text)
The figure shows how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different directio... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Oakura Bay surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Northland surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Oakura Bay
Tide stations nearest to Oakura Bay:
- Closest tide stationWhangaruru Harbour2 mi
- Second closest tide stationWhangamumu Harbour10 mi
- Third closest tide stationOpua14 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationRussell16 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationWaitangi17 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Oakura Bay:
- Closest ski areaManganui271 mi
- Second closest ski areaWhakapapa273 mi
- Third closest ski areaTukino278 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaTuroa279 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaRainbow456 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Oakura Bay:
- Closest city locationWhangarei24 mi
- Second closest city locationNorthshore100 mi
- Third closest city locationWaitakere101 mi
- Fourth closest city locationAuckland107 mi
- Fifth closest city locationManukau114 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Oakura Bay is Kerikeri Airport (KKE) in New Zealand, 42 km (26 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Oakura Bay is Whangarei Airport (WRE), also in New Zealand, 42 km (26 miles) away.
- Third is Kaitaia Airport (KAT) in New Zealand, 103 km (64 miles) away.
- Auckland International Airport (AKL) in New Zealand is 184 km (114 miles) away.
- Hamilton Airport (HLZ), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Oakura Bay and is 289 km (180 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Oakura Bay, Northland. Use the tab navigation above to view Oakura Bay sea temperature, Oakura Bay photographs, Oakura Bay detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Oakura Bay webcams, current wind from Northland live weather stations and Oakura Bay tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Oakura Bay.