Oakura Bay Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell ESE | Wind WSW
Sea Temperature Today is: 18.7 °C
Oakura Bay in Northland is a fairly exposed reef break that has fairly consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. The best wind direction is from the west southwest and there is no shelter here from cross shore breezes. Tends to receive a mix of groundswells and windswells and the best swell direction is from the east southeast. Waves at the reef are both lefts and rights. Best around high tide when the tide is rising. Rarely crowded here.
Overall Oakura Bay Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in January
This image describes the combination of swells directed at Oakura Bay over a normal Jan... (show all text)
The graph shows how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directions thr... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Oakura Bay surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Northland surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Oakura Bay
- The closest passenger airport to Oakura Bay is Kerikeri Airport (KKE) in New Zealand, 42 km (26 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Oakura Bay is Whangarei Airport (WRE), also in New Zealand, 42 km (26 miles) away.
- Third is Kaitaia Airport (KAT) in New Zealand, 103 km (64 miles) away.
- Auckland International Airport (AKL) in New Zealand is 184 km (114 miles) away.
- Hamilton Airport (HLZ), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Oakura Bay and is 289 km (180 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Oakura Bay, Northland. Use the tab navigation above to view Oakura Bay sea temperature, Oakura Bay photographs, Oakura Bay detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Oakura Bay webcams, current wind from Northland live weather stations and Oakura Bay tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Oakura Bay.