Nine Mile Spot ID
Type: beach and reef
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell WSW | Wind E
Sea Temperature Today is: 17.2 °C
Nine Mile on the West Coast is an exposed beach and reef break that has quite reliable surf and can work at any time of the year. Offshore winds are from the east. Tends to receive a mix of groundswells and windswells and the ideal swell direction is from the west southwest. There is a left hand reef break. Even when there are waves, it's not likley to be crowded. Watch out for dangerous rips.
Overall Nine Mile Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in December
The figure shows the combination of swells directed at Nine Mile over a normal December... (show all text)
This chart illustrates how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directi... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Nine Mile surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to West Coast South Island surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Nine Mile
- The closest passenger airport to Nine Mile is Hokitika Airport (HKK) in New Zealand, 48 km (30 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Nine Mile is Westport Airport (WSZ), also in New Zealand, 72 km (45 miles) away.
- Third is Christchurch International Airport (CHC) in New Zealand, 165 km (102 miles) away.
- Mount Cook Airport (GTN) in New Zealand is 183 km (114 miles) away.
- Glentanner Airport (MON), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Nine Mile and is 197 km (122 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Nine Mile, West Coast South Island. Use the tab navigation above to view Nine Mile sea temperature, Nine Mile photographs, Nine Mile detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Nine Mile webcams, current wind from West Coast South Island live weather stations and Nine Mile tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Nine Mile.