Mtati Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SSW | Wind NNE
Sea Temperature Today is: 18.3 °C
Mtati in Port Alfred is an exposed river break that has fairly consistent surf, although summer tends to be mostly flat. Works best in offshore winds from the north northeast. Waves can be ok even in light onshore winds Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the best swell direction is from the south southwest. The river breaks offer lefts and rights. When the surf is up, it can get quite busy in the water. Beware of rips and sharks.
Overall Mtati Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
The figure describes the range of swells directed at Mtati through a typical June. It i... (show all text)
This chart shows how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different directions... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Mtati surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Eastern Cape (S) surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Mtati
Tide stations nearest to Mtati:
- Closest tide stationPort Alfred12 mi
- Second closest tide stationEast London59 mi
- Third closest tide stationPort Elizabeth89 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationPort Saint Johns195 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationKnysna234 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Mtati:
- Closest ski areaTiffindell203 mi
- Second closest ski areaAfri-Ski (Lesotho)339 mi
- Third closest ski areaMatroosberg428 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaCerro Castor (Argentina)4636 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaMount Hermon (Israel)4655 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Mtati:
- Closest city locationGrahamstown35 mi
- Second closest city locationBisho45 mi
- Third closest city locationFort Beaufort57 mi
- Fourth closest city locationEast London60 mi
- Fifth closest city locationStutterheim69 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Mtati is Bisho Airport (VIY) in South Africa, 72 km (45 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Mtati is East London Airport (ELS), also in South Africa, 88 km (55 miles) away.
- Third is Port Elizabeth Airport (PLZ) in South Africa, 145 km (90 miles) away.
- Queenstown Airport (UTW) in South Africa is 179 km (111 miles) away.
- Umtata Airport (UTT), also in South Africa is the fifth nearest airport to Mtati and is 266 km (165 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Mtati, Eastern Cape (S). Use the tab navigation above to view Mtati sea temperature, Mtati photographs, Mtati detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Mtati webcams, current wind from Eastern Cape (S) live weather stations and Mtati tide predictions. The South Africa swell maps link will open up the big picture showing South Africa and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from South Africa wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Mtati.