Mitchell's Cove Spot ID
Type: reef and point
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell NW | Wind NE
Sea Temperature Today is: 11.0 °C
Mitchell's Cove in Santa Cruz is a sheltered reef and point break that has quite reliable surf. Winter is the optimum time of year for surfing here. The best wind direction is from the northeast. Tends to receive distant groundswells and the best swell direction is from the northwest. Best around low tide when the tide is rising. Often Crowded. Hazards include rips, rocks and locals.
For Santa Cruz, California, 2 km from Mitchell's Cove.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Santa Cruz, 4 km from Mitchell's Cove.
At Monterey Buoy, 23 miles from Mitchell's Cove.
|Data Age||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||11||11||11||11|
Overall Mitchell's Cove Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in May
The graph shows the variation of swells directed at Mitchell's Cove through a typical M... (show all text)
The rose diagram illustrates how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from differ... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Mitchell's Cove surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to CAL - Santa Cruz surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Mitchell's Cove
- The closest passenger airport to Mitchell's Cove is Norman Y Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC) in USA, 47 km (29 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Mitchell's Cove is Moffett Federal Afld (Mountain View) Airport (NUQ), also in USA, 52 km (32 miles) away.
- Third is San Francisco International Airport (SFO) in USA, 80 km (50 miles) away.
- Metropolitan Oakland International Airport (OAK) in USA is 87 km (54 miles) away.
- Modesto City Co Harry Sham Airport (MOD), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Mitchell's Cove and is 122 km (76 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Mitchell's Cove, CAL - Santa Cruz. Use the tab navigation above to view Mitchell's Cove sea temperature, Mitchell's Cove photographs, Mitchell's Cove detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Mitchell's Cove webcams, current wind from CAL - Santa Cruz live weather stations and Mitchell's Cove tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Mitchell's Cove.