Mewslade Bay Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SW | Wind NNE
Sea Temperature Today is: 14.9 °C
Mewslade Bay on Gower is a reasonably exposed beach break that has pretty consitent surf, although summer tends to be mostly flat. The best wind direction is from the north northwest with some shelter here from west winds. Tends to receive a mix of groundswells and windswells and the optimum swell angle is from the southwest. The beach break provides left and right handers. Sometimes crowded. Take care to avoid the rocks.
Overall Mewslade Bay Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in July
This chart illustrates the combination of swells directed at Mewslade Bay through an av... (show all text)
This image describes how often and how strongly the wind blows from different direction... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Mewslade Bay surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Wales - Gower surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Mewslade Bay
Visitor Reviews of Mewslade Bay
“Mewslade Beach is a magnificent place. Two hundred foot high sheer limestone cliffs form an imposing backdrop for a surf session and the rock climbing is pretty good here too.
Surfing here is pretty hit and miss. First, you have to avoid high tide because on everything apart from a low neap the sea covers the sand and there will be no surfable waves.
The rest of the time it is pretty good and for a Welsh beachbreak it can get pretty heavy on account of a steeper than usual beach profile and wide exposure to the prevailing SW swell that means it's generally about the same size here as at Llangennith but Mewslade generally packs a bit more punch, especially on the rising tide. Waves are usually biggest under beneath Thurba Head, the imposing cliff on the East side of the Bay.
Even when the wind is light or offshore, the quality of the surf is very variable because of the changing buildup of sand around the various rocks and headlands. Winter storms can strip away over a metre or more of sand changing it from a big sandy beach to something much rockier. Take care because there are generally rocks to be aware of, especially as the tide comes in.
On a good day, when the banks are right and there is a NW wind blowing down the valley, Mewslade can provide fast and wedgy walls, usually intense short rides. On days when things don't quite come together it's can be a heavy close out and even on good days there are usually close-out sets that are no fun at all. It's always a short-board wave.
Mewslade is a good indicator for the local reefs. In general, the ones to the East will be a bit bigger and similarly wind-affected to here whereas nearby Fall Bay Reef doesn't work until Mewslade Beach is about head high and a much better bet if the wind has any west in it. At low tide the two beaches at Mewslade and Fall become one.
The longish walk from the road means it is rarely crowded, but when it is working you would be very lucky to be the only one there.”
Rob Davies from UNITED KINGDOM - 10 Mar 2010
Tide stations nearest to Mewslade Bay:
- Closest tide stationBurry Port9 mi
- Second closest tide stationLlanelli10 mi
- Third closest tide stationMumbles14 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationSwansea16 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationBriton Ferry21 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Mewslade Bay:
- Closest ski areaAnother World Ski and Snowboard Centre183 mi
- Second closest ski areaRaise213 mi
- Third closest ski areaHarwood Common234 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaWeardale Ski Club234 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaYad Moss234 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Mewslade Bay:
- Closest city locationLlanelli10 mi
- Second closest city locationSwansea15 mi
- Third closest city locationBriton Ferry21 mi
- Fourth closest city locationNeath22 mi
- Fifth closest city locationCoity32 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Mewslade Bay is Swansea Airport (SWS) in Wales, 16 km (10 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Mewslade Bay is Cardiff Airport (CWL), also in Wales, 68 km (42 miles) away.
- Third is Bristol Airport (BRS) in England, 110 km (68 miles) away.
- Exeter Airport (EXT) in England is 110 km (68 miles) away.
- Bristol Filton Airport (FZO), also in England is the fifth nearest airport to Mewslade Bay and is 117 km (73 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Mewslade Bay, Wales - Gower. Use the tab navigation above to view Mewslade Bay sea temperature, Mewslade Bay photographs, Mewslade Bay detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Mewslade Bay webcams, current wind from Wales - Gower live weather stations and Mewslade Bay tide predictions. The United Kingdom swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United Kingdom and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United Kingdom wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Mewslade Bay.