Mavericks Spot ID
Best: Swell WNW | Wind E
Sea Temperature Today is: 12.4 °C
Mavericks in San Mateo is an exposed reef break that has consistent surf. Winter is the best time of year for surfing here. Works best in offshore winds from the east. Tends to receive distant groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the west northwest. Primarily a right hand reef break, although a left is also possible.. Sometimes crowded. Beware of rips, rocks and sharks.
For Half Moon Bay, California, 2 km from Mavericks.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Near Pillar Point Harbor Half Moon Bay wx, 2 km from Mavericks.
At Half Moon Bay Buoy, 23 miles from Mavericks.
|Data Age||5 hr||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||9||10||10||10|
Overall Mavericks Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in April
The figure describes the variation of swells directed at Mavericks over a normal April.... (show all text)
This chart shows how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different directio... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Mavericks surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to CAL - San Mateo surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Mavericks
- The closest passenger airport to Mavericks is San Francisco International Airport (SFO) in USA, 18 km (11 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Mavericks is Metropolitan Oakland International Airport (OAK), also in USA, 35 km (22 miles) away.
- Third is Moffett Federal Afld (Mountain View) Airport (NUQ) in USA, 41 km (25 miles) away.
- Norman Y Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC) in USA is 53 km (33 miles) away.
- Travis Afb (Fairfield) Airport (SUU), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Mavericks and is 99 km (61 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Mavericks, CAL - San Mateo. Use the tab navigation above to view Mavericks sea temperature, Mavericks photographs, Mavericks detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Mavericks webcams, current wind from CAL - San Mateo live weather stations and Mavericks tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Mavericks.