Mavericks Spot ID
Best: Swell WNW | Wind E
Sea Temperature Today is: 18.7 °C
Mavericks in San Mateo is an exposed reef break that has consistent surf. Winter is the best time of year for surfing here. Works best in offshore winds from the east. Tends to receive distant groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the west northwest. Primarily a right hand reef break, although a left is also possible.. Sometimes crowded. Beware of rips, rocks and sharks.
For Half Moon Bay, California, 2 km from Mavericks.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Half Moon Bay, 2 km from Mavericks.
|light winds from the NNE|
At Half Moon Bay Buoy, 23 miles from Mavericks.
|Data Age||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||16||16||16||15|
Overall Mavericks Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in August
The graph shows the combination of swells directed at Mavericks through a typical Augus... (show all text)
The rose diagram illustrates how often and how strongly the wind blows from different d... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Mavericks surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to CAL - San Mateo surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Mavericks
Tide stations nearest to Mavericks:
- Closest tide stationHalf Moon Bay1 mi
- Second closest tide stationPacifica8 mi
- Third closest tide stationBurlingame10 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationSeaplane Harbor, San Francisco Bay12 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationBelmont12 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Mavericks:
- Closest ski areaDodge Ridge (United States)147 mi
- Second closest ski areaBear Valley (United States)150 mi
- Third closest ski areaBadger Pass Ski Area (United States)156 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaKirkwood (United States)157 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaSierra at Tahoe (United States)158 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Mavericks:
- Closest city locationPacifica (United States)8 mi
- Second closest city locationBurlingame (United States)10 mi
- Third closest city locationSan Bruno (United States)11 mi
- Fourth closest city locationSan Mateo (United States)11 mi
- Fifth closest city locationSan Francisco International Airport (United States)11 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Mavericks is San Francisco International Airport (SFO) in USA, 18 km (11 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Mavericks is Metropolitan Oakland International Airport (OAK), also in USA, 35 km (22 miles) away.
- Third is Moffett Federal Afld (Mountain View) Airport (NUQ) in USA, 41 km (25 miles) away.
- Norman Y Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC) in USA is 53 km (33 miles) away.
- Travis Afb (Fairfield) Airport (SUU), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Mavericks and is 99 km (61 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Mavericks, CAL - San Mateo. Use the tab navigation above to view Mavericks sea temperature, Mavericks photographs, Mavericks detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Mavericks webcams, current wind from CAL - San Mateo live weather stations and Mavericks tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Mavericks.