Mapelane Spot ID
Best: Swell SE | Wind WSW
Sea Temperature Today is: 25.3 °C
Mapelane in Kwazulu-Natal is an exposed point break that has inconsistent surf. Summer offers the favoured conditions for surfing. Works best in offshore winds from the west southwest. Groundswells and windswells are equally likely and the ideal swell direction is from the southeast.. Rarely crowded here. Watch out for sharks and rocks.
Overall Mapelane Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in November
This chart shows the variation of swells directed at Mapelane over a normal November. I... (show all text)
This image illustrates how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different di... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Mapelane surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to KZN North surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Mapelane
Tide stations nearest to Mapelane:
- Closest tide stationeSikhawini46 mi
- Second closest tide stationBallitoville109 mi
- Third closest tide stationDurban131 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationUmkomaas158 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationMaputo168 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Mapelane:
- Closest ski areaAfri-Ski (Lesotho)227 mi
- Second closest ski areaTiffindell (South Africa)313 mi
- Third closest ski areaMatroosberg (South Africa)830 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaSepidan Ski Resort (Iran (Islamic Republic of))4260 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaPooladkaf Ski Resort (Iran (Islamic Republic of))4264 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Mapelane:
- Closest city locationRichards Bay (South Africa)34 mi
- Second closest city locationEmpangeni (South Africa)40 mi
- Third closest city locationeSikhawini (South Africa)46 mi
- Fourth closest city locationStanger (South Africa)94 mi
- Fifth closest city locationMondlo (South Africa)108 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Mapelane is Richards Bay (Richard's Bay) Airport (RCB) in South Africa, which is 50 km (31 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Mapelane is Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi (Ulundi) Airport (ULD), also in South Africa, 99 km (61 miles) away.
- The third closest airport is Vryheid Airport (VYD), also in South Africa, 174 km (108 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Mapelane, KZN North. Use the tab navigation above to view Mapelane sea temperature, Mapelane photographs, Mapelane detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Mapelane webcams, current wind from KZN North live weather stations and Mapelane tide predictions. The South Africa swell maps link will open up the big picture showing South Africa and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from South Africa wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Mapelane.