Mangamaunu Spot ID
Reliability: very consistent
Best: Swell SE | Wind W
Sea Temperature Today is: 14.7 °C
Mangamaunu in Kaikoura is an exposed point break that has very reliable surf, although summer tends to be mostly flat. The best wind direction is from the west. Tends to receive a mix of groundswells and windswells and the ideal swell direction is from the southeast. Best around mid tide when the tide is rising. Unlikely to be too crowded, even when the surf is up. Surfing here means negotiating dangerous rips.
Overall Mangamaunu Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in November
This image illustrates the variation of swells directed at Mangamaunu through a typical... (show all text)
The graph describes how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different direc... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Mangamaunu surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Kaikoura and Marlborough surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Mangamaunu
Visitor Reviews of Mangamaunu
“Please note: This area is currently being abused by campers and risks being restricted for campers. Abuse of the areas means leaving rubbish, excluding other users, lighting fires, not being self-contained and using the grass area for toilets. There have also been thefts and threats to adjacent property owners. Undersized shellfish shells were also noted in some of the campfires.
We ask that all users of the area consider these points, and not camp here if you wish to spoil the area.”
Rachel from NEW ZEALAND - 09 Apr 2015
Tide stations nearest to Mangamaunu:
- Closest tide stationKaikoura8 mi
- Second closest tide stationCape Campbell47 mi
- Third closest tide stationPort Underwood70 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationHavelock71 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationOkiwa Bay71 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Mangamaunu:
- Closest ski areaMount Lyford (New Zealand)32 mi
- Second closest ski areaHanmer (New Zealand)46 mi
- Third closest ski areaRainbow (New Zealand)55 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaCraigieburn (New Zealand)118 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaTemple Basin (New Zealand)118 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Mangamaunu:
- Closest city locationBlenheim (New Zealand)55 mi
- Second closest city locationNelson (New Zealand)75 mi
- Third closest city locationWellington (New Zealand)88 mi
- Fourth closest city locationLower Hutt (New Zealand)96 mi
- Fifth closest city locationPorirua (New Zealand)99 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Mangamaunu is Woodbourne Airport (BHE) in New Zealand, 88 km (55 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Mangamaunu is Nelson Airport (NSN), also in New Zealand, 120 km (75 miles) away.
- Third is Wellington International Airport (WLG) in New Zealand, 140 km (87 miles) away.
- Christchurch International Airport (CHC) in New Zealand is 165 km (102 miles) away.
- Paraparaumu Airport (PPQ), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Mangamaunu and is 187 km (116 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Mangamaunu, Kaikoura and Marlborough. Use the tab navigation above to view Mangamaunu sea temperature, Mangamaunu photographs, Mangamaunu detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Mangamaunu webcams, current wind from Kaikoura and Marlborough live weather stations and Mangamaunu tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Mangamaunu.