Maketu Bar Surf Forecast and Surf Reports
(Bay of Plenty, New Zealand)
Maketu Bar Spot ID
Best: Swell NNE | Wind S
Sea Temperature Today is: 17.5 °C
Maketu Bar in Bay of Plenty is a fairly exposed point break that only works once in a while with no particular seasonal pattern. The best wind direction is from the south with some shelter here from west winds. Tends to receive distant groundswells and the best swell direction is from the north northeast. Best around high tide. When it's working here, it can get crowded. Submerged rocks are a hazard.
Overall Maketu Bar Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in May
This image describes the range of swells directed at Maketu Bar through a typical May. ... (show all text)
The graph shows how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different directions ... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Maketu Bar surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Bay of Plenty surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Maketu Bar
Visitor Reviews of Maketu Bar
“If you come here respect the ones that live here.”
Local from NEW ZEALAND - 12 Jul 2013
Tide stations nearest to Maketu Bar:
- Closest tide stationTauranga17 mi
- Second closest tide stationMoutohora (Whale) Island29 mi
- Third closest tide stationWhakatane32 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationOhope Wharf38 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationOhiwa39 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Maketu Bar:
- Closest ski areaWhakapapa (New Zealand)114 mi
- Second closest ski areaTukino (New Zealand)116 mi
- Third closest ski areaTuroa (New Zealand)120 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaManganui (New Zealand)168 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaRainbow (New Zealand)344 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Maketu Bar:
- Closest city locationTauranga (New Zealand)17 mi
- Second closest city locationRotorua (New Zealand)29 mi
- Third closest city locationHamilton (New Zealand)64 mi
- Fourth closest city locationManukau (New Zealand)102 mi
- Fifth closest city locationGisborne (New Zealand)104 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Maketu Bar is Tauranga Airport (TRG) in New Zealand, 25 km (16 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Maketu Bar is Rotorua Airport (ROT), also in New Zealand, 42 km (26 miles) away.
- Third is Whakatane Airport (WHK) in New Zealand, 44 km (27 miles) away.
- Hamilton Airport (HLZ) in New Zealand is 101 km (63 miles) away.
- Taupo Airport (TUO), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Maketu Bar and is 115 km (71 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Maketu Bar, Bay of Plenty. Use the tab navigation above to view Maketu Bar sea temperature, Maketu Bar photographs, Maketu Bar detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Maketu Bar webcams, current wind from Bay of Plenty live weather stations and Maketu Bar tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Maketu Bar.