Mahai'ula Bay Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell NW | Wind ESE
Sea Temperature Today is: 25.8 °C
Mahai'ula Bay in Big Island is a fairly exposed beach break that has reasonably consistent surf. Winter is the favoured time of year for surfing here. The best wind direction is from the east southeast. Groundswells are more common than windswells and the ideal swell direction is from the northwest. Prevailing right breaking waves at the beach break. Good surf at all stages of the tide. Sometimes crowded. Take care of rocks in the line up.
Overall Mahai'ula Bay Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in March
This chart illustrates the combination of swells directed at Mahai'ula Bay through an a... (show all text)
This image describes how often and how strongly the wind blows from different direction... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Mahai'ula Bay surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to HAW - Big Island surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Mahai'ula Bay
- The closest passenger airport to Mahai'ula Bay is Kona International At Keahole Airport (KOA) in Usa Hawaii Isl., 6 km (4 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Mahai'ula Bay is Waimea Kohala (Kamuela) Airport (MUE), also in Usa Hawaii Isl., 46 km (29 miles) away.
- Third is Bradshaw Aaf Airport (BSF) in Usa Hawaii Isl., 51 km (32 miles) away.
- Upolu (Opolu) Airport (UPP) in USA is 56 km (35 miles) away.
- Hilo International Airport (ITO) in Usa Hawaii Isl. is the fifth nearest airport to Mahai'ula Bay and is 104 km (65 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Mahai'ula Bay, HAW - Big Island. Use the tab navigation above to view Mahai'ula Bay sea temperature, Mahai'ula Bay photographs, Mahai'ula Bay detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Mahai'ula Bay webcams, current wind from HAW - Big Island live weather stations and Mahai'ula Bay tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Mahai'ula Bay.